Ideas for decent budget FS frame transplant

agent_red
agent_red Posts: 7
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I have been having a blast on a Voodoo Wanga 18" hardtail (26) for some time now however I would really like to go the FS route.

Ideally I would like to reuse as many of the components from the hardtail as possible as money is a bit short. I have been looking at second hand frames and quite like the look of a Cove Hustler but to be honest I feel like I don't know where to start when choosing the right frame!

It would be great if I could have some pointers/suggestions on what would go well with the kit, 140mm Revelation RL, Deore XT etc.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Hustler is a good option, rode a few over the years and always enjoyed them. A slightly more modern choice would be a Mega TR, pretty common these days but for good reason. If I was after a budget frame it'd be at the top of my list for sure.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Mega TR is a good ride but not with the standard shock, the rather crude frame needs a very good shock to get the best out if it.
    The Hustler is ok but its a very old design now so its a bit heavy and the geometry isnt up to modern standards.
    I would look for a Giant Trance or Specialized Stumpjumper frame.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do your homework is what I would say, look at what is available, look at contemporary reviews, I've recently done similar but on a more XC biased bike.

I would look at the mid 2000's Marin Rift Zone with the white quad link suspension, the later one where the links go to the downtube with the shock in between, it got excellent reviews.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.