Tyres for my Domane 4.0

rickg7
rickg7 Posts: 4
edited April 2015 in The workshop
I bought my Domane 4.0 about three weeks ago now. Unfortunately due to illness and weather I have only been out on it once for 10 miles. Do you think it's worth changing the Bontrager R1 tyres to something like michelin pro4 endurance. Will I notice any difference in comfort between 25 and 23 sizes. What are your thoughts/recommendations.

Comments

• Nothing wrong with the Bontrager tyres. I use 25mm and 23mm tubless. They are both comfy and are pretty good in all conditions.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Thanks for that mate
  • Went out for my third outing today, and will be continuing most days from now, and guess what I had a puncture. Good job I have ordered a couple of Schwalbe Durano's yesterday. I know everyone gets a puncture from time to time but now that I have had to remove the offending tyre I was not overly impressed. Fingers crossed with the new ones!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    How much pressure in PSI did you have in the tyre that punctured?
  • I'm what can be described as somewhat of a dinosaur, and the rear tyre on my bike is bald and needs replacing.

I have two questions:

1. Should I replace both tyres (the front one is fine)
    2. What difference is there between a £10 tyre and a £40 tyre for someone that will be riding a maximum of 50 miles in a week?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm what can be described as somewhat of a dinosaur, and the rear tyre on my bike is bald and needs replacing.

I have two questions:

1. Should I replace both tyres (the front one is fine)
    2. What difference is there between a £10 tyre and a £40 tyre for someone that will be riding a maximum of 50 miles in a week?

1. Just replace the worn out tyre, but put the new one on the front.
    2. £10 tyres are generally heavier because they have a wire bead, and a bit lifeless to ride because they have a less flexible carcass. You're unlikely to get decent puncture protection for £10 either.
    Once you're spending £25 or more a tyre they are generally lighter because they have a Kevlar bead (and are thus described as folding tyres), and you get more choice: very light, grippy but relatively fragile race tyres, longer lasting training / endurance tyres with puncture protection, etc etc.

Generally speaking the dearer tyre will be nicer to ride. If you're commuting then durability should also be factored in. I use Conti GP 4 seasons in 25mm on my winter / wet bike and find them an excellent all-round tyre. Getting stupidly expensive though :shock:

As an example I bought some bargain priced wire bead Vittoria Rubino's to get a bike on the road as cheaply as possible. First wet ride the rear was sliced by a flint; no puncture protection at all. Lifeless to ride. Now a bit wealthier I've just replaced them with Michelin Pro4 SC's. It's like having a new bike!