Campag 9 speed woes

mankybianchi
mankybianchi Posts: 117
edited February 2015 in Workshop
I just took delivery of a pair of Veloce 9 speed ergos (ebay). They are cosmetically in almost perfect condition but I've come up against a slight problem.

The right lever only clicks through 7 times which makes 8 gears. It should be 8 times.

I've contacted the seller about it and he said that when he bought them as spares, they were still in the sealed packet but never used them.

The workings can be seen by moving the rubber hoods a little and their appears to be a lot of yellow grease.

Looking at the actual ratchet, it looks the same as the spare part EC-RE133 http://www.euroasiaimports.com/productc ... p17975.htm which also seems to have only 7 steps given that the no-tension step ie. smallest toothed sprocket, is the one that seems twice as long as the others.

Admittedly I'm tensioning a derailleur minus a chain and cassette as they haven't arrived yet. So, will an 8th click suddenly appear when connected up?

Any ideas?

Comments

• No idea... could it be that without tension in the cable you don't feel/hear the last click?

Anyway, if it turns out that they don't work, despair not, I have a pair of Veloce 9 speed Ergos that I could part from... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ok Ugo, thanks for that. Good to know you're there!

Just out of interest and scientific discovery etc. how many clicks do you get when not tensioned?

I was simulating tension by running the cable through the ergo and pulling on the it with varying amounts to see if I could notice a difference but I couldn't.
  • Ok Ugo, thanks for that. Good to know you're there!

Just out of interest and scientific discovery etc. how many clicks do you get when not tensioned?

I was simulating tension by running the cable through the ergo and pulling on the it with varying amounts to see if I could notice a difference but I couldn't.

8 on the thumb shifters, If I press it carefully, but on the other shifter (lever behind the brake) I get fewer as without tension they go up in pairs occasionally... I get 6 or 7, depends how careful I am. Remember these shifters had multi shift capability
    left the forum March 2023
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The older Ergo's (second model 1999-2006) work never well without a cable pulling.
    The spring at the back (ment to work against the spring of the derailleur) makes the cable reel skip gears . Ignore...
  • Thanks chaps. Will keep you posted…