Commuting Tyre?

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited February 2015 in Cyclocross
I'm looking for a decent "fastish" tyre to commute on but one that can also handle some light offroad. I CBA changing tyres all the time. Around 300gs if possible, anything heavier I find feels "dead"..
I'm also considering running it tubeless on my Archtypes to keep the p*ncture fairy away on commutes (25mile).

Looked at the Kenda SB8 and Continental CycloCross Speed so far. Don't want to go any bigger than 32mm.
Any thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• Vittoria XN PRO. Bear in mind all these CX tyres don't last very long if you commute. 1500 miles is all you can get out of a pair. Running them tubes is pretty much the only way to avoid a puncture every other day too.

There are more durable and puncture resistant tyres, but you have to sacrifice weight
    left the forum March 2023
  • rowlers
    Vittoria XN PRO. Bear in mind all these CX tyres don't last very long if you commute. 1500 miles is all you can get out of a pair. Running them tubes is pretty much the only way to avoid a puncture every other day too.

There are more durable and puncture resistant tyres, but you have to sacrifice weight

They look good, so you say tubes is the way to go?
  • All I am saying is that if you commute a lot, you will spend a lot of money in CX tyres. On the other hand, a pair of touring tyres will last for 6000 miles or more, virtually puncture free. More like 500 grams though... it doesn't make a world of difference to be honest
  • rowlers
    All I am saying is that if you commute a lot, you will spend a lot of money in CX tyres. On the other hand, a pair of touring tyres will last for 6000 miles or more, virtually puncture free. More like 500 grams though... it doesn't make a world of difference to be honest

Ah, I see what your saying.
    I'll maybe go back to my Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pro's I guess I'm wanting cake and eating it...
  • rowlers wrote:
    All I am saying is that if you commute a lot, you will spend a lot of money in CX tyres. On the other hand, a pair of touring tyres will last for 6000 miles or more, virtually puncture free. More like 500 grams though... it doesn't make a world of difference to be honest

I'll maybe go back to my Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pro's I guess I'm wanting cake and eating it...

We prefer to say that you want the bottle full and the woman drunk... :wink:
  • rowlers
    rowlers wrote:

We prefer to say that you want the bottle full and the woman drunk... :wink:
    I like it :)