Brake cable routing help

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Apologies for the basic questions but I was hoping for a bit of confirmation before I end up trashing some lovely new cables.

I've just fitted brake cables to a Scott Foil but it's not quite right as the rear cable pushes on the front when turning to the right.

I think the rear is fine as it's just long enough not to prevent the bars turning all the way to the left. I thought the right was a good length as well as it curves nicely down to the front brake whilst being as short as possible.

Basic question but presumably the front cable should be in front of the rear?

Assuming it should be then have I just cut the front too short? If it was longer and loops back should it avoid fouling on the rear?

Many thanks

35a40a0.jpg

Rear pushing on the front:

nbdulz.jpg

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Lengths look ok, but perhaps just a little bit short. The rear brake cable should run outside the front one, which should sort you out. Here is my own Foil showing how my cables are set up.

Tip: snake the Di2 cable which feeds into the downtube around the rear brake cable and then secure with electrical tape. Makes evrything much neater.

IMAG2785_zps1bb426de.jpg
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I think this is because your bike's cable routing is optimised for European-style brakes with front brake lever on the left and back on the right. Looks like your front cable outer is perhaps slightly short. Unless the cable fouling issue means your front brake is accidentally applied when turning bars to the right, it won't be more than a cosmetic problem. You don't turn bars much either way when actually riding. I would try it out with the front brake cable behind the rear to see whether that works without fouling.
  • Many thanks and sorry for being dozy. Swapped the front to run behind the rear and it's perfect.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DKay wrote:
    Lengths look ok, but perhaps just a little bit short. The rear brake cable should run outside the front one, which should sort you out. Here is my own Foil showing how my cables are set up.

Tip: snake the Di2 cable which feeds into the downtube around the rear brake cable and then secure with electrical tape. Makes evrything much neater.

IMAG2785_zps1bb426de.jpg

They look too long to me. Yours almost madly too long - they hurt my eyes! ButI think Mercia Man makes a good point; generally pretty difficult to get the cable runs to look neat if you have right front braking. Everything seems to fall into place much more happily with left front.

P1010191ed_zpsec5a4f74.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Rolf F wrote:
    DKay wrote:

IMAG2785_zps1bb426de.jpg

They look too long to me. Yours almost madly too long - they hurt my eyes!

Nah. The cables are just fine. Could probably make the rear an inch shorter, but I found going any less than that puts the cable stop entry point under too much stress and too tight a cable bend for my liking on my combination of 40cm bars, 90mm stem and XS frame. The angle in the pic above makes the rear cable look much longer than it really is. Running the front brake cable straight down to the front brake caliper from the bars would also have put too tight a radius in the outer. That should be pretty obvious to see.

IMAG3205_zps65b55835.jpg