Rotor BSA 30 ceramic

Timmy269
Timmy269 Posts: 14
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Hello, I have bought a BSA 30 ceramic bearing of Rotor and an 3d+ cranckset.

I installed everething like it should but my crank won't turn freely. Just one turn and then it stops :(

With my ealier bearing of shimano my crank turned a couple of times freely.

With the BB of rotor are on each side of the BB a black seal to protect the bearings, could this be the problem?

Could it be that the grease in the new BB is to thick.

Comments

• cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Have you removed the plastic spacers? If not then re-install without them. The overall width of the BBs may be slightly different.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    They should turn freely. I have the same BB as you but the one to fit their 30mm axle. You shouldn't need to put any washers in with the BSA one (the white plastic ones), you have to keep the black seal. Also have you made sure that the micro adjuster has been preloaded correctly? Also make sure you are torquing correctly , my Rotor Power (based on the 3D+ chainset) is only 35Nm istead of 40 with a lot of other chainsets.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • A have used any white spacer andere everythins is installed as the manual shows.
    It runs freely, bit just ons turn and a bit.

Could it be the grease of the fabric that is to thick?
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Does it struggle to rotate even before you've set the preload adjuster? I assume so otherwise you're probably applying too much tension to the bearings by overtightening the preload adjuster.

the grease is unlikely to create significant friction. BBs do wear in a little though.

If its one spin with the chain on then its probably okay. If no chain Id expect it to spin more for sure.