Felt R3 Wheel Rim Slightly Bent- Advice Needed

tom160
tom160 Posts: 4
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

After riding over a huge pothole in the city centre the other day, I noticed that the wheel rim on my rear Felt R3 has bent slightly (where the brake grooves are).

The wheel isn't actually buckled, just this bit at the top has bent out slightly, rubbing on the brake pad whilst rolling.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=17994

download/file.php?mode=view&id=17994

Any ideas on how to fix it? I was thinking maybe just giving it a squeeze with some pliers or something?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Adjustable spanner, clip the bent part of the rim in the jaws and bend it back into place. If it cracks in the process, throw in the skip, if it doesn't it's job done
    left the forum March 2023
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'd check the spokes in that area to make sure the rim's not been deflected radially towards the axle too. I totalled a rim that way a couple of years ago; untru-able.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Adjustable spanner, clip the bent part of the rim in the jaws and bend it back into place. If it cracks in the process, throw in the skip, if it doesn't it's job done

Thanks for your help. I'm no engineer, but I would have thought that if the wheel were to crack it would have done so upon impact with the pothole?
  • tom160 wrote:
    Adjustable spanner, clip the bent part of the rim in the jaws and bend it back into place. If it cracks in the process, throw in the skip, if it doesn't it's job done

Thanks for your help. I'm no engineer, but I would have thought that if the wheel were to crack it would have done so upon impact with the pothole?

When you bend the metal back, it might crack along the bend... as well as it might not... the odds are on your side, so it's worth trying. Maybe heat it up with a hair dryer, rather than bending it at sub zero temperature... every little helps
  • tom160 wrote:
    Adjustable spanner, clip the bent part of the rim in the jaws and bend it back into place. If it cracks in the process, throw in the skip, if it doesn't it's job done

When you bend the metal back, it might crack along the bend... as well as it might not... the odds are on your side, so it's worth trying. Maybe heat it up with a hair dryer, rather than bending it at sub zero temperature... every little helps

Thanks again.

Do you reckon it might even be worth just leaving it, or could it potentially be dangerous/get worse? As I said, the only problem it causes is producing a slight bump whilst braking.
  • tom160 wrote:
    tom160 wrote:

Thanks again.

Do you reckon it might even be worth just leaving it, or could it potentially be dangerous/get worse? As I said, the only problem it causes is producing a slight bump whilst braking.

Jeez, you haven't done it yet? Of course you have to bend it back or the tyre might pop out