Do 26" wheels not work?

Rad2474
Rad2474 Posts: 162
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Just read the article on bike radar's website about the wheel size debate, it mentions that there are plenty of spare parts available. It then goes on to say should i buy a 26" bike and says only if you are desperate for a downhill bike. I find this a bit annoying as i have a perfectly capable 26"fs which i've no intention of getting rid of. There are some fantastic deals available online for 26" bikes and their article just serves to put people off maybe swaying them to buy a lower spec 27.5/29" when they can get a better 26" on the basis that 26" will suddenly stop rotating and you'll fall off.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have a dozen or so 26 inch bikes.

I suggest a strongly worded letter to the Mail blaming Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They keep saying 26" is dead but I think only one or two people i know have gone to 650b and they said it was because thats all thats in the shops and they dont think its any better than 26".
    I have tried a couple 27.5" bikes including the 275 version of my Mega and im in no rush to change. I might go for a 27.5" Devinci Wilson carbon downhill bike next year but only because they stopped making the 26" carbon model which was the best DH bike i have ever ridden.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Rode 26" wheels for nearly two decades with no problems on rough off road trails in the middle of nowhere. Now ride 29" wheels as they suit me better. The removal of 26" wheels is just a marketing ploy to make older bikes redundant so people are forced to buy 27" or 29" wheeled bikes.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Rad2474 wrote:
    Just read the article on bike radar's website about the wheel size debate, it mentions that there are plenty of spare parts available. It then goes on to say should i buy a 26" bike and says only if you are desperate for a downhill bike. I find this a bit annoying as i have a perfectly capable 26"fs which i've no intention of getting rid of. There are some fantastic deals available online for 26" bikes and their article just serves to put people off maybe swaying them to buy a lower spec 27.5/29" when they can get a better 26" on the basis that 26" will suddenly stop rotating and you'll fall off.

Just asked a similar question in my post.
    Nothing wrong with a 26" bike in the right hands and it should never stop you having a lot of fun and enjoyment on it. Plus I have seen a lot of 26" bikes beat a lot of 29ers too in XC races and that has included me (on both ends of the scale haha)
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Jesus, are we still talking about this one?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The first video certainly piqued my interest, the second was a let down, it asked more questions than it answered and as such left me no wiser at all of the comparative benefits of the different wheel sizes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    MTB's getting more like road bikes (making wheels bigger, using double chainsets) and road bikes getting more like MTB's ("flat bar", disc brakes), love it. :D

What we need really is like 12 categories of bikes. :oops:

I myself have ended up with some bastardization that is about 70% a road bike and 30% a MTB (for use on roads and light trails).
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    As I have from the mid Eighties a 24" and a 26" rigid the most fun bike to ride is the 24".

On the trails it just seems a lot more nimble.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    They've already sold us all the other useless crap we don't need so next logical step was to reinvent the wheel.

It's all marketing b/s to average Joe MTRer.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8