Has anyone gone from 10 sp Sram Apex/Rival to 11 speed 5800

stevie63
stevie63 Posts: 481
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
As per the title really, just picked up 11 speed compatible wheels which has got me thinking about running 5800. Has anyone gone from one to the other and how did it compare. I love double tap shifting but I am sure I would get used to Shimano shifting pretty quick. Is it a worthwhile upgrade and are there any downsides?

Comments

• tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    Why not Rival 11 or Force then you can keep double-tap?
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    If you're happy with your 10spd. set-up, then I don't see the point in switching. 5800 is very good though.
  • The only downside for me of 5800 over Rival would be the loss of the double tap. 5800 works extremely well, but I prefer a fixed brake lever over one that swivels to double as a gear changer. The other obvious problem with going 11 spd is that it precludes use of any 10spd wheel sets you might already own.
    If you really want to go 11 speed why not Rival 22 . Out of interest which 11 speed wheel set did you get ?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I'm moving from SRAM Force 10 speed on one bike to Shimano 105 5800 11 speed on it's replacement. I'm toyed between keeping the 5800 or buying a rear 22 derailleur and shifters to upgrade the existing SRAM set up and transferring the groupsets between bikes. Shimano components are much cheaper than SRAM but I much prefer SRAM's operating system.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    My N bike was Rival 10 speed and N+1 is Ultegra 11 speed and I didn't find the switch between riding them much of an issue. When I bought the bikes, there wasn't an option on gear sets but I didn't let the fact that they would be different bother me too much.

However, comparing them against each other I would say that the Ultegra is smoother & lighter change than the Rival was. I was concerned that I'd miss having a fixed brake lever on the Ultegra but I actually find that braking and changing gear at the same time is much easier.

I bought another Ultegra gearset for a build project that got abandoned so swapped the Rival 10 speed for the Ultegra and now run that on both bikes.

I appreciate that you're asking about 5800 but I'm sure there isn't much difference to 6800 and I know that if you're a weight weanie it's heavier than SRAM but I'm happy with the Shimano setup and wouldn't go back.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    It isn't that I am particularly bothered about going to 11 speed, because I really can't see much of a difference. It is just I know that I am at that stage where things are likely to need replacing and rather than spending money to keep a 5 year old groupset going I could use that to upgrade to the latest. Especially as the price on 5800 is so good.

That is the reason I am thinking about Shimano rather than Sram because it is quite a bit cheaper and I find that I do miss the lighter gear changes of Shimano. It is interesting to see the views of those who have changed.
  • I'd not rule out SRAM entirely. Rival groups is, at least, the well, rival of 105.

http://www.fudgescyclesonline.com/index.php?p=317689

Few more quid of course.

Though, I have to say, if you can stretch to it, SRAM Force 22 at Merlin is an absolute steal at the moment.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Maybe it's me but it never takes me more than a few minutes to get used to the different gear change methods.

I find mechanical Shifters to be much thicker than SRAM and the levers require much more hand movement to change gears. As i have small hands I find this a bit of an issue. If I went back to Shimano I'd HAVE to go Di2 (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Shimano changes are smoother and quieter but less definitive. I do quite like the solid KER CHUNK feel of a gear change on SRAM and find Shimano a bit short on tactility
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ddraver wrote:
    Maybe it's me but it never takes me more than a few minutes to get used to the different gear change methods.

I find mechanical Shifters to be much thicker than SRAM and the levers require much more hand movement to change gears. As i have small hands I find this a bit of an issue. If I went back to Shimano I'd HAVE to go Di2 (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Shimano changes are smoother and quieter but less definitive. I do quite like the solid KER CHUNK feel of a gear change on SRAM and find Shimano a bit short on tactility

You're right, it might take a couple of minutes to get used to something else and that's it. Once you've ridden it you just remember. I, (and plenty of others I know) constantly swap about as I ride bikes with groupsets from different manufacturers, each ride I never have caught myself doing the wrong thing.

Mind you, never underestimate just how thick some people are. I once got called out to see someone who's new computer monitor was broken, it wouldn't turn on. I got there and it just turned on, so I turned it off and said 'you turn it on' to him, then watched as he double clicked the power button :) as he thought you had to double click things on computers!

(Oh, I don't like Shimano either, of course I can use it, and have done, but I find the ergonomics of the shifting not right at all. I know it's not an issue for most people, just as it's not an issue for them that it all looks sh1t too :) )
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I have a mix of 10 speed Apex/Rival on my winter bike and had loads of FD issues which resulted in me fitting an Ultegra FD instead which is much more reliable. On my newly purchased "best bike" I have Rival 22 and it's a massive improvement on the 10 speed, especially on the front. If you want lighter front shifting and want to keep double tap (like I did) don't rule out Rival 22. The chain catcher is a useful selling point as well if you have a carbon frame.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • StillGoing
    I'd not rule out SRAM entirely. Rival groups is, at least, the well, rival of 105.

http://www.fudgescyclesonline.com/index.php?p=317689

Few more quid of course.

Though, I have to say, if you can stretch to it, SRAM Force 22 at Merlin is an absolute steal at the moment.

Good spot and persuaded me to take the plunge and buy a SRAM Force 22 groupset and sell the 105 5800 groupset. I doubt there is anything wrong with the 105 groupset, but I just like how SRAM works and a brake lever that doesn't do anything else but brake.
  • It was only a few weeks ago that it was £100 more. £478 for something which, at least weigh wise, is getting on for both Red and Dura Ace is incredible.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • StillGoing
    Could have done it by buying 22 shifters and a rear derailleur, but it would have worked out more expensive than buying a full groupset, selling the Force 22 cranks and the complete 105 5800 groupset. The person buying the crankset is getting a new set in the crank length he wants at a fraction of the new price and a big reduction on the price of a new 105 groupset so he's happy too. Plus free build. All in it will have cost me about £150 to change.
  • StillGoing
    The update on all of this and what more SRAM users need to know, is that you don't need to upgrade your derailleurs. SRAM's 11 speed Rival and 11 speed Force work with the 10 speed derailleurs upgrading your bike far cheaper.