Anyone recommend a good but not too expensive bike rack?

martylaa
martylaa Posts: 147
I have a Merc Benz C Class Saloon and we are off on holiday and we want to take our 2 adult bikes with us a Boardman and a Pashley. However i have seen some of the prices charged for them at Halfords and wondered if anyone knew of another place to get a good secure rack what isn't going to break the bank.
Also would a Saris Bones be a good choice for a saloon car?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Halfords prices are usually fairly competitive, for obvious reasons - however the range is quite limited.

I can recommend this lot - http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/ - but good racks/carriers are not cheap.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I remember the old paddy hopkirk roof bars halford sold. Not funny when a mate';s set came off on the M6 and skidded along the inside lane with 4 kayaks on top worth about £800 each. Luckily they were recovered intact and the trip carried on until the bars got ditched before the next trip.

Sometimes it is worth spending a little bit more for security of something more expensive. Saving £50 on those roof bars nearly costed £3200!

PS we've got a rear bike rack and are looking at fitting a towbar and towbar mounted bike rack this year. Probably end up costing up to £500 all in but at least we then have it sorted. Those towing hitch mounted racks can come with a swing out mechanism so the boot can still be accessed. An issue with boot mounted racks IMHO.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    We have Thule roof bars and holders. They work really well, but are quite expensive as an overall package. Plus due to family expansion it's now helpful to have a roof box for some holidays.

We got a Saris Bones last year and used it with 2 adult bikes and a Luath 700 to Applecross and back (12 hours each way). Very impressed. A slight tightening of the straps en route and the obvious disadvantage that you don't have access to the boot. And that's about it. Plus when camping it makes a handy bike stand. Overall, a very effective and relatively cheap solution.

Ours is used on a Skoda Yeti, but they fit a whole range of cars, including saloons. There's a guide on the Saris website.