Easton EA50 Aero hub issue

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Hi chaps,

After 2 winters, i've found some play in my front wheel hub. I've read somewhere that these particular hubs can't be adjusted - oh joy - so it looks like the wheel would need to be checked out.

if I describe whats happening, perhaps someone could advise me on whether I can just carry on riding, or recommend to get it looked at asap? ...

With the wheel fitted to bike, if I just lift the bars up and down lightly, there is a rattle from the hub area, like wise if I hold the wheel from the rim area and move from side to side.

If I hold the front brake in however, there is no rattle or movement in the hub it seems.

At this stage it feel secure enough, but would prefer to avoid it getting worse if possible.

Comments

• They're sealed bearings and most likely need to be replaced. If you have a trusty LBS time to visit it, otherwise have a look at videos on youtube and download the Easton manual/technical drawings
    left the forum March 2023
  • They're sealed bearings and most likely need to be replaced. If you have a trusty LBS time to visit it, otherwise have a look at videos on youtube and download the Easton manual/technical drawings
    Cheers for that.

I thought as much. I'm taking the wheel in tomorrow. Hopefully it wont be too expensive, or it will probably be more cost effective to get a new set of wheels.
  • It will be much cheaper to replace the bearings.

I hope we never see the day when people bin a pair of wheels as it's more convenient than replacing a pair of cartridges worth 3-4 quid each... please don't start the trend!
    left the forum March 2023