Drinking is good for you?

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,079
edited February 2015 in The cake stop
I'm not much of a drinker and can easily go a month or longer without drinking. However, seeing these news stories that claim that drinking moderately is actually healthier than being tee total, I thought I might actually start having a drink more regularly. Question is, what does the phrase 'drinking' refer to? Surely drinking a couple of pints of Carling a night isn't going to be that healthy? What about a G&T or a Jaegerbomb!? Or is it just the resveratrol in red wine that is supposed to be healthy? Hmm... just answered my own question by reading this... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27371546

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Heart disease, Dementia vs Cancer. A bit of drinking with food supposedly reduces vascular issues and bad cholesterol, but recently its claimed to increase Cancer risks.

Going out with a bang seems preferable to rotting away.

I've cut my drinking right down lately purely because I find the diuretic effects mucks about with training too much, not to mention its the most unenjoyable way to consume huge amounts of calories.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,954
    On matters such as this, I always refer to scientific studies like this:-
    http://www.runyogathrive.com/2013/05/17 ... a-workout/

There are conflicting studies but I find it quite simple to ignore them. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    If you have alcohol in your system your liver cannot release glycogen whilst this is processed so once the glucose from the carbs you have eaten is used up you will bonk.

During a hypo you will sweat, shake, your speech will be slurred, you will fall over and pass out.

Who needs drink! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pblakeney
    If you feel a bonk coming on then I suggest that it is time to stop cycling for the duration. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I enjoy a few pints, It is part of a balanced lifestyle choice for me.

Posters on here will generally only take notice of various medical issues (the abuse of) drink my cause. I however take the view in moderation drink is not too harmful. I drink in my local and meet many of my friends there some of whom are cyclists. I enjoy their company and have a good laugh. I know if this element of my lifestyle was to be removed it would have a more detrimental effect on my health overall than the consumption of a few pints would.

Healthy mind, healthy body and all that.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pblakeney
    I enjoy their company and have a good laugh. I know if this element of my lifestyle was to be removed it would have a more detrimental effect on my health overall than the consumption of a few pints would.

Healthy mind, healthy body and all that.
    Well put.
    I know a few friends who have went from social drinkers to teetotal.
    They are now miserable gits. Coincidence?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    I agree. I'm an everything in moderation kind of guy but I do wonder if all else being equal, moderate drinking is better for you than not at all.