Fulcrum 5 Shimano freehub body

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited February 2015 in Workshop
My fulcrum 5 2014s have been taking the worst of winter and as a consequence the shimano freehub body is becoming noisy (Definite coarse bearing sound) when I spin the cassette, the front wheel bearings are sounding a little noisy to.

Is the freehub body servicable? I don't fancy paying £55 for a new one if the bearings are service/replaceable. I can replace the main bearings in the front and rear no problem.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    They are serviceable and bearings can be had for only a few quid (though the last ones I got turned out to be double sealed (better than the originals) but not greased so they didn't last long - the next lot I've greased...).

Anyway, cheap but it's a bit of a tedious job getting the inner bearing out (a devious circlip stops it getting out) - instructions can be found with a bit of googling.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • carl1983
    carl1983 Posts: 162
    Rolf F wrote:
    They are serviceable and bearings can be had for only a few quid (though the last ones I got turned out to be double sealed (better than the originals) but not greased so they didn't last long - the next lot I've greased...).

Anyway, cheap but it's a bit of a tedious job getting the inner bearing out (a devious circlip stops it getting out) - instructions can be found with a bit of googling.

Thanks Rolf F I have just found a guide.

To grease the double sealed bearing I take it you just pop one seal off grease and replace?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I took both off but I can't see that really makes much difference. Also if you get the SKF ones I would imagine they are already done.

But it's probably better to use cheap ones to start with. If you manage to mess it up first time you won't get them out again without stressing them!

I dismantled one the other day. The inner one drove me nuts trying to get it past the outer ones seat!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    What press/puller did you use to get them in/out?