Taping a Frame

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited February 2015 in Workshop
I've done a search for 'Helicopter' 'frame + tape' and nothing seems to be coming up

Can I get some advice on where and how to put on helicopter tape (as well as recommended sources)

Just got a new BMC frame and I want to look after it, so am I better applying to key areas such as underside of down tube, top and bottom of DS stay, bottom of NDS stay, maybe tube tube as it has an external brake cable

or would I be better taking it to somewhere that does car wraps and getting them to do it all over? Thanks
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Car wraps..?? Just leave it in the box - less chance of damage that way.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I thought about frame protection when I got my CR1-SL frameset from Westbrooks. I'd never spent that much on a bike related purchase before.

I found some little clear patches in the box of bits that came with it, so I stuck them on the headtube where the cables would rub, but to be honest they look a bit odd being glossy on an otherwise matt frame.
    I've not bothered with the rest. There's a chainstay protector already in place and a Deda Dog Fang to stop the chain falling onto the BB shell.

The matt bare carbon finish has proved extremely durable, certainly more so than gloss paint on the alloy bike. Stones just seem to ping off leaving no marks, and despite my fears the thing cleans up really easily with warm soapy water.

So if I were you I'd just ride the thing.
  • brettjmcc
    very good reply, you must have given up the day job to tour working men's clubs

sadly Essex council seem hell bent (like most councils) with repairing road with surface dressing only... I prostrate myself to beg your forgiveness for want to look after my new frame

Anyone with actual advice?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc
    Thanks keef, yes my frame has come from Westbrook too and like you it will be most expensive bike to date when finished.

The Canondale that will be going has got some chips and scratches over the years, so I was just trying to think about some protection as it's easier to do when it's a bare frame. I tend to over think these things... I won't get it built up for a month or two as I'll still be using the training bike
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • imposter2.0
    You're over-thinking it. Like Keef said above, just ride it. Life's too short. Sorry if that's not the answer you wanted.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm not familiar with the BMC frames beyond ogling them on Westbrooks' website (the buggers keep emailing me!)

I just think if it's a bare carbon / matt finish then shiny helicopter tape will make it look pants.

Helicopter tape makes sense and is completely invisible on a gloss paint job; wish I'd stuck some on the winter bike. Cables have rubbed right down to the metal around the headtube, and there's several chunks out of the downtube courtesy of the council's chip and ping summer "resurfacing"
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    protecting the frame is a bit like putting a bonnet bra on a car. It can ruin the look and you protect the paint by covering it up so you can't see it. It a bit like seat cover. Paint chips are part of riding. Those little clear self adhesive patches are good solution for the headtube issue.

the solution to the headtube issue is head tube rings for the gear cables and brake cable.

Bikes are for riding and enjoying the ride. Clean them yes maintain them definately but worry over paint chips or cable rub no don't worry about that for one second. It's only paint after all.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I got some helicopter tape ready to go on my new bike last May. When the bike arrived I took it out for a test spin. Then I cleaned the cranks and applied a little tape where my heels had slightly scuffed the cranks on my previous bike. There's also tape on the upper side of the drive-side chainstay to protect from a dropped or bouncing chain - can't remember if I fitted that or it came that way - many bikes do. I intended to put some on the underside of the downtube too but it needed a wipedown first which I put off that day.....and 8 or 9 months later it's still not done. Do I regret it? Do I grimace and rue my carelessness every time I get out my bike? Not in the slightest.
    If you want to fit protective tape, do. It's not essential and if you're doing more than fitting it in the most vulnerable spots I think it's equivalent to leaving the plastic wrapping on your new furniture. No one else can really tell you the best way to so it because there isn't one. It's all about preference and priorities.

[Edit]P.S.
    I did a duathlon a few months after I got the new bike. All bikes had to have stickers attached for security in the transition area. The stickers they gave us made a bit of a mess of my top tube. In trying to clean it off I slightly scuffed the finish of the matt paint job (never would have been a problem with gloss!). I was a little annoyed. But I can't say it really got to me. A few months after that, I managed to somehow clip the top tube with my Speedplay cleat as I dismounted and took a tiny chip out of the paint. Couldn't care less. The only person who'll ever notice is me. It doesn't make any difference to the ride or the performance. Let's stop worshipping our bikes and ride them. Sure there's some aesthetic appeal in mechanical and electronic stuff but it's hardly fine art and I think it's worth actively avoiding obsessing over finish. Ever notice how "things" tend to migrate as they age from being prized possessions about which you worry and fuss to useful and enjoyable tools that simply serve their purpose....or is that just me. The first bit of wear or damage is a good thing if you ask me. It gets you over that silly object worshipping phase and you loosen up and live.
    That's what I think anyway.....
  • brettjmcc
    I know, I know all good advice... Just when it's sitting there looking all nice and fresh, I can't help myself LOL

16261607178_37e2e72dd4_z.jpg
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • imposter2.0
    Just leave it like that. Cut a hole for the seatpost and BB and you should be good to go...
  • brettjmcc
    :lol: I think you are on to something
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    When you get to the point of treating it like a bike not an ornament you will understand, Grasshopper.

Look where the cables touch the frame; stick a bit of tape there.
    Cover the drive side chain stay.

That's it. Done.
  • You can get Matt heli tape. I bought a big piece from eBay enough to do 3 bikes or so. Bargain, and great stuff. Get it put on there before you build it up
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Cable rub points on headtube, etc, obviously.

Plus driveside chainstay - top and bottom

I just did the top, but a muffed front&rear simultaneous change and there were chain-bites out of the bottom paint of the chainstay - which you could see, on my white-painted frame.

Under the downtube or bottom bracket ? Is this obvious enough so that you see them without turning the bike upside down ?
    - No, so don't bother.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Any tips on stopping it peeling away?

I bought some 3m stuff recently to put on a new CX alu frame at the headtube and stays.. It may be because I put it on in a freezing cold garage but the heli tape keeps peeling away after a few rides.

Any tips?
  • imposter2.0
    Use more tape to tape down the tape that won't stick...
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    A hairdryer is your friend.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    You can buy cable protectors for your headtube area they just slide onto the cable outers and look good IMHO. They are available in different colours to match your cables or frame and cost just a few quid.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura