Slipping seat post - what to do with assembly gel?

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited February 2015 in The workshop
My seat post has started slipping down. I read that I should clean the post and tube fully then apply some assembly gel. Also read that one like this will work even though the bike's not carbon:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-fib ... y-gel-50ml

Stupid question time - I'm not clear on where I put the stuff. Smear it all over the seat post (as far as it goes inside the tube)? Apply to the inside of the clamp?

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Hair spray or gel spray works well. Clean tube as best you can, spray some on and refit. The other thing that can work is a little lube on the clamp bolt to improve the transfer of torq.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use carbon paste on all my seatposts, a thin smear is all you need, put it over about 1" length from only just above clamp point downwards, further down is pointless.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers guys. :)

Might try hair spray before buying the assembly gel!

Seat post definitely has some sort of lube on it already. When it slips down and I pull it back up, there's a light layer of some sort of grease on it.

I've probably got some crud inside the tube. Had the bike two years and have never cleaned it out. :oops:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's a metal frame and seatpost then it's likely been greased to stop it corroding and becoming stuck.

Whip it out and clean both post and tube, and apply some assembly paste before reassembly. The gritty little particles in the paste will help the tube grip the post and stop it slipping. If you re-do it annually it will also guard against the possibility of corrosion.

Hairspray is good for MTB handlebar grips and I'm sure it would stop a seatpost slipping. Less sure about it stopping corrosion.