Porridge doesn't work???

13»

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I once cried when I bonked 20 miles from home and that 20 miles was into a strong head wind...I was delirious.,.that's proper bonking. Still rode home though. Funny thing was the next day I had a fantastic ride!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    All my personal bests have been done on empty (i.e. fasting/zero cal). I put it down to higher Vo2Max, slightly less weight and less going on inside. Fecked after about 2 hours of hard exercise though.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've bonked a few times and almost all of those in the evening on short ish commutes usually when I've only had a light lunch about 11:30, seeing as I get up at 5am and home at 8pm unless I eat 3-4 times a day I can pretty much guarantee the book. As for porridge I actually find it not only useless as fuel but it also makes me hungrier.

My advice for long rides is two slices of white toast, baked beans and scrabbled eggs, that will usually do me 7-8 hours with the odd gel towards the end.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Speckled
    Speckled Posts: 97
    forget porridge its all about potatoes 8)

I boil mine and then lightly salt them, stuff as many as i can in my jersey and ive always got a supply of fast absorbing carbs. Ive never had a bad ride while taking those out with me
  • Subject probably well covered by now but I find porage on its own doesn't last me very long, but with something in it (banana, raisins, nuts) it works better. It could be that the solids take a little longer to break down and release their energy, or the extra protein helps. I really have no idea.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    The title of this thread really irritates me!
    What constitutes "working"?

Used how and compared to what?

I find porridge excellent. Easy on the stomach, slowish release energy. It's not about to keep you going all day but it's a good prep food. Surely the day before is the time to get in the bulk of your nutrition ahead of long rides.
    While I often eat porridge on it's own, I also add banana and/or raisins if I want to get more calories in or just for a bit of variety.
  • wide phil
    wide phil Posts: 51
    porridge spoonful of desiccated coconut and spoon of raisans, half a teaspoon of brown sugar does me mmmmmmm
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    this is making me hungry!

My breakfast of choice in the winter is 75g of porridge, raisins, sultanas, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and a bit of maple syrup, made with half water and half full fat milk.

Also tried a similar mix but with a jordans type base, and of course not heated up, but also chopped up a banana in it, and that tasted great, and was very filling - so might try either that on Saturday early hours, or if it's ocold and wet, I'll try the porridge with the addition of a banana.

I will also accompany said breakfast with a cafetiere of strong coffee.

The above means I can complete 50 miles on 2 bottles of water, although I have now started taking one water and one high 5 caffeine thing which I find really good.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Daniel B wrote:

My breakfast of choice in the winter is 75g of porridge, raisins, sultanas, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and a bit of maple syrup, made with half water and half full fat milk.

Delighted to see this one's still running. As for the post above, 75g of porridge is a lot - I'm a chunky monkey (91kg) and I can't eat that much. 50g more like it. And I go for skimmed milk, and none of the additional ingredients.

The coffee I agree with. That's excellent.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Two bowls of porridge and I did a 90-miler (the last 45 miles all into that hellish wind) on Sunday. OK, I did stop halfway round and top up with two toasted tea cakes, but it was the porridge wot won it.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • daniel_b
    SecretSam wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Delighted to see this one's still running. As for the post above, 75g of porridge is a lot - I'm a chunky monkey (91kg) and I can't eat that much. 50g more like it. And I go for skimmed milk, and none of the additional ingredients.

50g is a normal weekday before work amount of porridge for me!
    A very personal thing, but porridge on it's own I find a bit boring, and would struggle to eat that much, but with all the extras it's no problem at all :D
    I'm 72kg, but perhaps have a fast metabolism, but that quantity of porridge (or 100g of Alpen with extras) keeps me going for a good few hours - I hate that feeling when you start being hungry on a ride, and there's still 30 miles left - not pleasant, so for me I would rather overfuel than underfuel - well definitely in the colder months anyway.

I also take some fig rolls out with me, in case of the requirement for a top up.
    Two bowls of porridge and I did a 90-miler (the last 45 miles all into that hellish wind) on Sunday. OK, I did stop halfway round and top up with two toasted tea cakes, but it was the porridge wot won it.

Two bowls - good work!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • secretsam
    Ha, like it's the porridge thats the cause of you being 15kg overweight....

[sarcasm]Oh, you mean to say it isn't porridge that made me fat? F*** me, I knew I'd been doing something wrong all these years, thanks for enlightening me[/sarcasm]

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    matthew h wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    I eat porridge and bonk regularly.

Me too ;)

And I thought you pair were just good friends...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    SecretSam wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I eat 30g of porridge, skimmed milk, cinnamon, I weigh 55kgs.

So I think it is the porridge, it must be, porridge makes you fat, STAY AWAY FROM THE PORRIDGE, :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    30-45g of porridge is plenty for a 2 hour hard workout. Its around 30-40cal per desert spoon (dry) 10-15g - to save people getting the scales out. I prefer water in mine - it swells up better when you nuke it in the microwave.
  • secretsam
    team47b wrote:
    I weigh 55kgs

Yeah, but you're only 3ft tall :mrgreen:

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    SecretSam wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    I weigh 55kgs

Yeah, but you're only 3ft tall :mrgreen:

That makes my BMI 66.4 :shock:

(20.4) :twisted:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • daniel_b
    diy wrote:
    30-45g of porridge is plenty for a 2 hour hard workout. Its around 30-40cal per desert spoon (dry) 10-15g - to save people getting the scales out. I prefer water in mine - it swells up better when you nuke it in the microwave.

Agreed, so my 70g/75g bowl for a 3+ hour ride is about right (for me) in that respect.

Too warm for porridge though now I find, rode 50 on Monday fuelled by 80g of Jordans/Alpen type material.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    porridge blows, i dont know why i continue to try and ride on just porridge. Everytime i do i end up fading badly 2/3rds of the way.

2 eggs scrambled, beans and 2 slices of white toast with butter sees me good for up to 125 miles, so longs as i start snacking and or gels after 50 miles, so does me for 50 miles :lol:

porridge = lame floor dusting
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Karlos69
    Karlos69 Posts: 107
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    timthumb.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dorsetcereals.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F04%2Fmain-muesli-simply-nutty2.jpg&w=200&h=auto&zc=1&s=0&a=c

I should have expanded on my post.

Scott's porage oats has 355kcal per 100g
    Dorset cereals has 378kcal per 100g

There's not much difference until you realise what portions you serve yourself.

Before a Saturday morning ride I will eat an Ikea kid's cup full of muesli, about 120g. So 453Kcal.
    ikeacups_lg.jpg
    The equivalent portion of porage is about 40g (those little sachets) so about 142kcal.

Both equate to a bowlful of "stodge".

I may add some fruit and honey to the porage to make it more palatable but I doubt that will add 300kcals.

Plus in the muesli you get a more balanced mix of cereals, grains, nuts and dried fruit. When fit I can easily get 2-3 hours of riding out one bowl of muesli.

Much more expensive but in terms of marginal gain better value than those titanium pedals.....

PS - Just checked, one of those porage sachets is 30g so the difference between the two is even more.

PPS - I also suspect that oats in cooked form digests more quickly meaning you will get a qucker but shorter bust of energy compared to "raw" cereal. I am not a nutritionist si am not sure.

that dorset stuff has loads of sugar in it. porridge doesnt
    Cannondale Killer V
    Trek 6500
    Cannondale Bad Boy
    LOOK KG176
    Giant TCR Composite 1
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Karlos69 wrote:

Both equate to a bowlful of "stodge".

I may add some fruit and honey to the porage to make it more palatable but I doubt that will add 300kcals.

Plus in the muesli you get a more balanced mix of cereals, grains, nuts and dried fruit. When fit I can easily get 2-3 hours of riding out one bowl of muesli.

Much more expensive but in terms of marginal gain better value than those titanium pedals.....

PS - Just checked, one of those porage sachets is 30g so the difference between the two is even more.

PPS - I also suspect that oats in cooked form digests more quickly meaning you will get a qucker but shorter bust of energy compared to "raw" cereal. I am not a nutritionist si am not sure.

that dorset stuff has loads of sugar in it. porridge doesnt[/quote]

My porridge does when I've finished with it!
  • daniel_b
    itboffin wrote:
    porridge blows, i dont know why i continue to try and ride on just porridge. Everytime i do i end up fading badly 2/3rds of the way.

2 eggs scrambled, beans and 2 slices of white toast with butter sees me good for up to 125 miles, so longs as i start snacking and or gels after 50 miles, so does me for 50 miles :lol:

porridge = lame floor dusting

That's incredibly Porridgist ITB!

But seriously, I think this thread just underlines that we all have to find what food sources enable us to ride longish distances, and we are all different.
    But I still find it useful and interesting to see what other people find does nto work, and does work for them - some interesting ideas to try.

For me, Porridge or Alpen will keep me going for 3 hours easily - not tried a longer ride yet, but will do so in coming months, and expect it to be fine for 4-5 hours, combined with some mid ride re-fuelling, and a High 5 drink.

I'm going to be out of the house by 5.30 on a Saturdays coming up, can't imagine eating a cooked breakfast at 4.40am!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Leftover curry no that's a power breakfast