How to Fix a Rattling STI Lever?

Biomech
Biomech Posts: 158
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help.
My left STI Lever rattles, it appears to be where the cable goes into the housing or just inside. It stops if I put pressure on it but it's not always easy to find the spot that stops it - any ideas?

I wasn't so bad before, but I've been using this new ceramic lub on my chainset, etc, and the bike is so quite all you can hear is the tarmac and this rattling! It's a bit over powering on the videos from the gopro too.

Cheers!

Comments

• Biomech
    ... found some things and reading, could be the tension on the rear brakes, I'll leave the thread open though...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The nameplates were a big cause of rattles and a squirt of bathroom sealant behind them stopped the rattle I had.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Biomech
    I had adjusted the brakes the other week after a flat and found it to be worse, but I've just been giving it a gentle drop and it does indeed seem like it's the nameplates. However, I can't see any gap to get in with sealant, any ideas/tips?

I have the Shimano Claris shifters on a Defy 4 2014. The nameplates appear to be clear plastic (little orange noodle stick gear indicator thing underneath) I ALWAYS have trouble getting the rubber hoods back on flush
  • Biomech
    Thought I'd resurrect this one.

I'm still getting a rattling noise from my (left only) STI level.

I popped the plastic nameplate off yesterday for a ride and I still get the rattling. I poked my finger in and it's not the orange/red gear indicator. If I push on the rubber part of the hood at the top front, it stops.

Before I start taking things apart and, inevitably, break things. Any ideas what it could be?

I'm thinking it could be where the break cable sits inside perhaps? As I mention, it became worse then the brakes were adjusted.

TIA
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    Is it the rear brake calliper not springing back fully so that the brake cable tension is a little slack and the cable end can rattle inside the STI?

If so it could be the cable inner/outer or the actual calliper itself.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I too think it sounds like the caliper spring isn't applying enough tension to the brake cable. A bit of a faff, but you could remove the brake cable entirely, inner and outer, and the barrel thingy the nipple sits in, to see if it rattles without.
  • Are you sure its not the rubber band on the inner shift lever? it is there to stop it rattling on the outer lever and they can come off, causes a really annoying rattle from the lever when on rough ground.
    Trek SLR 1500 Ultegra 9 spd
    Team Raleigh Dura Ace 7900
    Scott Foil Team Issue Dura Ace 9000
  • Biomech
    I'll check that
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Are you sure its not the rubber band on the inner shift lever? it is there to stop it rattling on the outer lever and they can come off, causes a really annoying rattle from the lever when on rough ground.

where should the rubber band be on the inner lever? I have rattling from my left shifter also (4600) and cant figure out where its coming from exactly. It only rattles on rough or broken up surfaces and doesnt really bother me but would be nice if i could eliminate it completely.
  • Is that Tiagra? if so, the band should be on the inner shift lever to stop it hitting the outer lever, just checked my Ultegra 9 speed shifters and its fitted to these, if yours doesn't have one you can loop a thin rubber band around the top of the inner lever, if you Google Shimano STI rattle its a common problem, name plate screw loose etc
    Trek SLR 1500 Ultegra 9 spd
    Team Raleigh Dura Ace 7900
    Scott Foil Team Issue Dura Ace 9000
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Yeah its 10spd Tiagra shifters. I mean to have a look at them last night but forgot. Its only the left shifter it happens on, will google it and check the shifter later. Thanks