Pearson Once More Unto The Breach

andyoh
andyoh Posts: 115
edited February 2015 in Your road bikes
My Pearson Once More Unto The Breach custom build, it weighs in at 9.5kg and it's very smooth to ride ;)

Aluminium 7005 Pearson Frame
Carbon Forks
Carbon Pearson Seat Post
Deda Zero 100 Bars
Deda Zero 100 Servizio Corse Stem
Lizard Skin 2.5mm Bar Tape
Handbuilt H Plus Son Archtype Rims on Halo Track Hubs with Conti 4 Season 25mm tyres
Miche Primato Crank 48/17 freewheel
TRP RG957 Brake Calipers
TRP RRL Levers
Look Keo 2 Max pedals
SKS Chromoplastic mudguards

I had a bike fit at Pearsons Sutton store and the bike was adjusted to me. James the bike fit technician at Pearson Sutton had no problem at all with the spacers under the stem.

A big thanks to James and Andrew at Pearson Cycles in Sutton.
IMG_1561.jpg

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    That is very nice. Simple, understated and elegant.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Lovely stuff
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Very nice but didn't they have any in your size?

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • andyoh
    edited February 2015
    Very nice but didn't they have any in your size?

bc

Sorry, but I'm not quite understanding what you are trying to say? If you are referring to the height of the seat post in relation to the drop to the bars then that's how I ride the bike and I'm happy with the bike as it fits me fine. The guys at Pearson actually suggested a shorter stem for the ideal fit. We all don't ride a bike with the saddle sat on the top tube or the bars level with the saddle as some of us have rather long legs!!
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    very nice
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Yes I like that, classy colour scheme. I'm dying to know what's going on with the seatube and the wingnuts? :D
  • Yes - I like it. Reminds me a bit of my Paddy Wagon. I think (I know) I'd have gone with bullhorns though
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes I like that, classy colour scheme. I'm dying to know what's going on with the seatube and the wingnuts? :D

theres a single speed tool (spanner, lockring tool etc) on there, which is easily removable with the wingnuts.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Yeah, really like that. And that's a Pedro's Fixie tool on the seat tube, right?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Very nice! Hope it carries you many happy miles.
  • andyoh
    edited February 2015
    Yep it's a Pedro's Fixie Tool, quite a handy tool to have on a single speed
  • andyoh wrote:

bc

Sorry, but I'm not quite understanding what you are trying to say? If you are referring to the height of the seat post in relation to the drop to the bars then that's how I ride the bike and I'm happy with the bike as it fits me fine. The guys at Pearson actually suggested a shorter stem for the ideal fit. We all don't ride a bike with the saddle sat on the top tube or the bars level with the saddle as some of us have rather long legs!!

I think what beancounter means is that considering its not a compact frame there is an awful lot of seat post showing, and there are a lot of spaces under the stem, so a frame with a longer seat tube and head tube would have provided a similar fit but looked aesthetically better.
  • andyoh
    Personally I prefer a bike to look like this rather than a large frame with say only one spacer under the stem and hardly any seat post showing, that just doesn't do it for me. Each to their own I would say but thanks for your comment.
  • andyoh wrote:
    Personally I prefer a bike to look like this rather than a large frame with say only one spacer under the stem and hardly any seat post showing, that just doesn't do it for me. Each to their own I would say but thanks for your comment.

....with you on that one.
    It looks well does your bike, nice one.
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    Really nice bike.
    One thing would worry me though. Have you taken the top cap off the top of the forks and had a look at how much gap is underneath? If it is say 5mm or so, then the top clamp of the stem isn't tightening on very much. I was always under the impression it is good practice to have at least a small spacer on top of the stem to ensure the stem is clamping to something solid.
    Apologies if it is good and my eyesight is shot. But otherwise I would inclined to take out one 10mm spacer, stick one 5mm below the stem and one above if you can and juggle the bars a little to keep the fit the same.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • andyoh
    I did actually question the fact that there were no spacers at all above the stem and the bike fitter at Pearson said it was fine. I have just checked and the stem is literally 2mm higher than the top of the steerer tube to allow for the top cap to sit properly.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    xdoc wrote:
    andyoh wrote:

bc

I think what beancounter means is that considering its not a compact frame there is an awful lot of seat post showing, and there are a lot of spaces under the stem, so a frame with a longer seat tube and head tube would have provided a similar fit but looked aesthetically better.

But then the top tube would have been too long - better looks maybe but worse fit. If someones body is not of average proportions then you can't expect their bike to fit and be of average proportions either!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andyoh
    Rolf F wrote:
    xdoc wrote:
    andyoh wrote:

bc

But then the top tube would have been too long - better looks maybe but worse fit. If someones body is not of average proportions then you can't expect their bike to fit and be of average proportions either!

Rolf thanks, and that's exactly why Pearson sold me a 56cm frame. The top tube is 56cm and the bike fitter said a 100mm stem would be ideal, it currently has a 110mm stem fitted. Therefore, any larger frame would have been too big in the top tube for me.
  • andyoh wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    xdoc wrote:
    andyoh wrote:

bc

Rolf thanks, and that's exactly why Pearson sold me a 56cm frame. The top tube is 56cm and the bike fitter said a 100mm stem would be ideal, it currently has a 110mm stem fitted. Therefore, any larger frame would have been too big in the top tube for me.

I agree guys, just pointing out why at quick glance some may think the frame is too small.