What FS frame would you recommend...??

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
Evening All,

I am still on the market for my first FS bike, but

If I was going to build it from scratch what frame would I go for...??

Firstly:

- entry/mid range FS for local lanes / XC / more technical terrain but nothing extreme...something like Giant Anthem X1/X2 , Trance or Lapierre Zesty 314 or above

There was a Lapierre 314 frame on ebay recently (I missed it) used but in good condition for 270quid - so I thought it could be a good start.

Question for you guys:

What frame (probably second hand bargain) would you recommend / go for as a good starting point ?? (probably dont want to spend more than 500quid on it ideally up to 300 ??)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The time to get used FS frames cheap was just before Christmas, the prices literally halved on ebay (guess when I bought mine!).

A few to consider that come up within your budget
    1/ Santa Cruz Superlight (although not actually that light, later ones are better, upto about 2006 they are a bit crack prone)
    2/ Marin Rift zone with the Whyte designed quad link, works well, the later one with the 2 frame mounts on the downtube (rather than the one that looks like a swing arm but isn't) got great reviews.
    3/ The Scott Genius (RC for short travel, MC for longer) downside is the pull shock makes changing it expensive, and the shock does get filthy!

Check out my lightweight FS build (link in sig) frame cost me £110 delivered, shock £30 and I sold the old Float for £25 locally, so £115 all in for a 2.3Kg frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    The time to get used FS frames cheap was just before Christmas, the prices literally halved on ebay (guess when I bought mine!).

A few to consider that come up within your budget
    1/ Santa Cruz Superlight (although not actually that light, later ones are better, upto about 2006 they are a bit crack prone)
    2/ Marin Rift zone with the Whyte designed quad link, works well, the later one with the 2 frame mounts on the downtube (rather than the one that looks like a swing arm but isn't) got great reviews.
    3/ The Scott Genius (RC for short travel, MC for longer) downside is the pull shock makes changing it expensive, and the shock does get filthy!

Check out my lightweight FS build (link in sig) frame cost me £110 delivered, shock £30 and I sold the old Float for £25 locally, so £115 all in for a 2.3Kg frame.

Thank you Rookie.

I did read / see you post re FS build - nice read...
  • The Rookie
    Thanks...I'm very pleased with it.

Lots of choice out there, I still have my ebay search from when I was looking so if I see anything I'll post a link!

There is a new medium Voodoo Canzo frame ending later today, needs a shock but that will only cost you circa £50-60.
    The other one I forgot is the Marin Mount Vision, short travel twin to the RZ.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    Thanks...I'm very pleased with it.

Lots of choice out there, I still have my ebay search from when I was looking so if I see anything I'll post a link!

There is a new medium Voodoo Canzo frame ending later today, needs a shock but that will only cost you circa £50-60.
    The other one I forgot is the Marin Mount Vision, short travel twin to the RZ.

Thank you Rookie much appreciated !

Just to let you know Im 5-10 (180cm) so probably looking for medium size frame don't know 17"-18"-19" ???

Chris
  • The Rookie
    I would say a medium, I'm just over 5'9" and most medium are a little large and a small a little small for me, fortunately the Litespeed ETT is between most S and M as it's their 'SM' size!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giant Anthem is very good. I had one and will have another. Best xc bike I have owned.
  • kinioo
    Giant Anthem is very good. I had one and will have another. Best xc bike I have owned.

I know that and I do like it !

The deal on Pauls web is good and if it still available end of March (when I am back from my holiday) I may pull a trigger...unless I find a good frame first !!