Bearings for giant trance

Rambo_123
Rambo_123 Posts: 183
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
The bike I have is a 2014 Giant Trance 2, and I need to replace the pivot bearings on my frame as there is a bit of play even when torqued to the right amount. However I don't know where I can buy them from so if anyone does, can you please share?

here is a link to the bike: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 002/66614/

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A Giant dealer.
    Or take them out and get some from a bearing shop.
    Or some Ebay sellers sell bearing kits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But check it's the pivot and not the shock bushing.
    I would be very suprised if bearings are gone in a year.

Also torque wrenches can be wildly wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    cooldad wrote:
    But check it's the pivot and not the shock bushing..

Shock bush was replaced on my anthem after 18 months. Think it replaced with a TFT low friction bush and (touch wood) its not gone wrong yet.

There are full bearing kits on ebay for about £30. Don't know about the quality though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Pop out the bearings and take them to your local bearing shop. Ask for replacements by either SKF or Koyo.
    Giant frame bearings are usually made of cheese, I have had a few and all lasted around a year at most before I replaced them with better quality bearings and never needed to touch them again.
    Some of the bearing kits on ebay are either cheap rubbish or bearings which have had the seals removed and been filled with the wrong grade of grease and too much of it.
  • thanks for the replies guys!

My bike is at my lbs - which is a giant dealer - just now and it was them that told me that the bearings didnt have much life left in them. They said it could be £90 worth of labour costs (£30 per hour) to change the bearings so I will probably just buy the bearings off of them, and the kit to remove and install the bearings and do it myself.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They may have changed it but Giant used to only sell the bearings already pressed in to the linkages, they didn't sell just bearing kits. That was back in 2012ish
  • I can get them from my LBS but thanks for letting me know