Turbo shifting woes

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited February 2015 in Workshop
I index my gears when I fit my dedicated turbo wheel. I do this on a work stand and the gears are fine. I clamp the bike in and get on the turbo only to find the gears are all over. Feels like there's loads of slack in the cable.

My turbo trainer pivots down onto the roller under my weight so I lift the rear of the bike, turn the pedals and after a qtr/half turn on the barrel adjuster the gears are running smooth again. I get back on the bike and once again the gears fail to shift both up and down one click, as per whichever direction I move my lever. I'll either get a very hesitant shift or nothing at all.

Shimano 105 groupset, turbo and road wheel use 11-28 cassettes (no wear), new(ish) cables and there's no problems whatsoever when I use this bike outside/off the turbo trainer.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the cause? I was thinking that the clamping force may be pulling the dropout out of alignment but the gears are fine when the bike is clamped in and I'm not riding. :?
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”