Orange Five - how much to pay?

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at building myself another full susser now we're all settled in our new home and finances are back to where they should be. I've always yearned after a five since I was a teen & now I can afford one I think it's time to treat myself.

The question is, how much should I pay? I'm looking at 2007 onwards, size will be S/M & frame & shock only.

Comments

• russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    It depends on the year really. Personally I would go for 2011 or newer. The tapered head tube and 30.9 seat tube is pretty much a must nowadays and will make finding forks sooo much easier and the ability to fits decent dropper post.
    You should be able to pick up a 2011 ish frame for around £500 maybe less now 26" stuff is getting cheaper. Earlier frames will be significantly cheaper as they are 1 1/8th head tube and 27.2 seat posts, probably around £300.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Mines a 2012 (tapered headtube and 12mm rear axle, it came with a Fox RP23 shock.

Paid £700 in July last year.
  • cubedean
    Cheers, I've been looking at earlier ones (06) with rp23. What would a good price for a hardly ridden 06?
  • cubedean wrote:
    I'm looking at 2007 onwards, size will be S/M & frame & shock only.
    cubedean wrote:
    I've been looking at earlier ones (06) with rp23.

Wut? :|

Old 5's are worse than new 5's. Which is saying something considering they're almost exactly the same and the new ones are plop.
  • cubedean
    cubedean wrote:
    I'm looking at 2007 onwards, size will be S/M & frame & shock only.
    cubedean wrote:
    I've been looking at earlier ones (06) with rp23.

Wut? :|

Old 5's are worse than new 5's. Which is saying something considering they're almost exactly the same and the new ones are plop.

I would rather have an 07 onwards, but i have been looking at an 06 which has been hardly used....
  • I wouldn't spend over 50p.

Or maybe trade for some haribo?
  • cubedean
    I wouldn't spend over 50p.

Or maybe trade for some haribo?

Thanks for your input....
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It would have to be no more than a couple hundred pounds. The old ones are horrible flexy things.
    New fives are ok, a bit boring and very overpriced but not bad bikes.
  • cubedean
    It would have to be no more than a couple hundred pounds. The old ones are horrible flexy things.
    New fives are ok, a bit boring and very overpriced but not bad bikes.

Thanks, Ibe got a heart and head situation, bike-discount.de have got cube ams 120 frames without shock for £190. Head says get the new cube & couple it with a fox shock for similar money that I'd be paying for an old 5. Heart says you've always wanted a 5.....get one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stab yourself in the heart then to shut it up and use your head to get a decent bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Don't listen to all the Orange Hate büllshit. Get the bike you want, not the bike other people want.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    A lot of online comments aimed at Orange are obviously just people running their mouths for the sake of it, but then a lot of it is also based on user experience. I certainly wouldn't buy one for a number of reasons (I'm not quite 40 yet and don't work in IT :D), unless it was so cheap I could turn a profit selling it on straight away. I don't consider myself a hater though, as I've ridden enough of them to know I don't like how they ride, how they sound or how they look.

...but yeah, buy whatever makes you happy. It's your money :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Actually, its because valuation threads aren't allowed... I wouldn't buy a 9 year old bike, regardless of what it was or how cheap it was.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I just bought a 20 year old bike. It's awesome, but not an Orange 5 obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There can be no good reason to buy a 9 year old five over the Cube AMS120. The five was ok when it was new but they were never anything special. Things have moved on a long way since 2006.