reporting potholes- Manchester Council-useless

Semantik
Semantik Posts: 537
edited February 2015 in Commuting chat
So I don't live in Manchester City Council area but I commute through it everyday. I live in the neighbouring borough council area. I want to report a monster of a pothole I see every day on my commute. Manchester Council website invites me to fill in a form and submit electronically. The form rejects my submission as I don't live in their council area, and it tells me I MUST live in their council area or not interested. WTF??
So Manchester City Council only have a duty of care to those road users who actually live in their area.
That is a pretty fu**ed up policy in my view!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Or just give then an address in Manchester!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I commute through Oldham, Rochdale and Manchester councils to get to work at Sportcity and I use the Fill That Hole website, which I think fires off a notification automatically. MCC aren't too bad - they fixed the ones I reported on Oldham Rd within a couple of months. Rochdale are the worst; they take around a year :shock:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I have 3 local councils to deal with via fillthathole. One of them only repairs potholes if they are considered dangerous and has reports going back 2 years. One report I made was dealt with within 24 hours mainly cause I stated damage had been caused
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Semantik
    Rolf F wrote:

Je did.

Sometimes you see a pothole that just makes you angry.

Angry because of its mind blowing proportions and the thought of how much damage and potential injury it would cause to a cyclist or motorcyclist going down it. This was one such 'hole.

The councils waste millions on ridiculous so called 'traffic calming' improvements to the roads but can't get the basics right with potholes. There needs to be a more aggressive cycling lobby, a Jihad against local councils to get the overweight bureaucrats to improve the roads.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    From https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/1 ... _to_safety :
    •If the damage is extremely dangerous, phone 0161 234 5004.

I had the same problem reporting potholes a while ago but I found a way around it.
    I've just gone most of the way through the form and said "no I don't want to use my account" and it seemed to take me to a final page to submit it.
  • Semantik wrote:
    a Jihad against local councils to get the overweight bureaucrats to improve the roads.

Really? I'm as keen for pot holes to be filled and roads to be maintained in good condition as the next cyclist, but in the face of 37% cuts in government funding and 25% cuts in spending power (according to ONS) I'd be interested to hear how you would balance the books. If support is to be largely maintained to education and social services it is inevitable that there won't be the same funding for highway maintenance and the like.

I do agree that it is daft for a Council to reject a report just because you are not one of their residents (this is more likely to be driven by local politicians - it you can't vote for them, what is the point in helping you?). I too have used the fill-a-hole site and have always found that anything reported has been addressed within a month.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Semantik wrote:
    The councils waste millions on ridiculous so called 'traffic calming' improvements to the roads but can't get the basics right with potholes.
    You should try and understand how they are funded, the traffic calming money comes in a separate pot from central govt and is ring fenced for that purpose, they cant use the money for anything else.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I asked work if I could work from home today as I have to put the minutes from our AGM together and need peace and quiet, which I don't tend to get at work. The council have just turned up with a big lorry, generator, angle grinder and pneumatic drill to fix a massive series of pot holes right outside my house, that I reported last year :shock: peaceful and quiet, it ain't.

I don't know whether to be pleased or cross. I ended up making them a cuppa and told them I'd be out to check it with a spirit level when they've done it....
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Semantik wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Je did.

Sometimes you see a pothole that just makes you angry.

Angry because of its mind blowing proportions and the thought of how much damage and potential injury it would cause to a cyclist or motorcyclist going down it. This was one such 'hole.

The councils waste millions on ridiculous so called 'traffic calming' improvements to the roads but can't get the basics right with potholes. There needs to be a more aggressive cycling lobby, a Jihad against local councils to get the overweight bureaucrats to improve the roads.

It's the potholes you can't see that you need to worry about, not the big ones.

Where is it by the way?
  • Semantik
    Altrincham Rd A560 dual carriageway heading west- in the left hand lane just before it meets the roundabout at A5103/M56 junction.