Wiggle H Plus Son Archetype Wheels

clazza
clazza Posts: 626
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Does anybody know how well built these are? Quite tempted as I could get them delivered to Hong Kong where I'm based..of course if I was in the UK I'd go to some of the recommendations on this forum.

Also, are the Ultegra hubs worth the GBP50 or so extra over the 105's - they'd be used for wet weather rides / touring

Comments

• clazza wrote:
    Does anybody know how well built these are? Quite tempted as I could get them delivered to Hong Kong where I'm based..of course if I was in the UK I'd go to some of the recommendations on this forum.

Also, are the Ultegra hubs worth the GBP50 or so extra over the 105's - they'd be used for wet weather rides / touring

I believe the 5800 hubs are a significant step up on the old 5700's with regard to the cone adjustment. Have a look at the technical docs on the shimano site, If I recall the 5800 and 6800 are very similar.

Edit: 6800 are very similar to 9000... If i was spending my money (god forbid!) I would spend the extra £50 on the 6800 hubs.
  • I have not seen the 5800 yet, but the 6800 are exceptional hubs for the money. Wiggle sell these a bit over the market price, which is unusual, but they are hand built in the UK (by someone in the Norf, I was told) and if you don't have a local builder, they might well be your best bet.
    left the forum March 2023
  • clazza
    Good stuff. Just realised that I have a pair of Ultegra on Mavic A719 rims (from a rarely used cross bike) which looks like they would be good for the job? Only thing is they have a recommended min tyre width of 28

Anybody tried putting 25's on these? Internal width is 19 and external 24.5
  • clazza wrote:
    Good stuff. Just realised that I have a pair of Ultegra on Mavic A719 rims (from a rarely used cross bike) which looks like they would be good for the job? Only thing is they have a recommended min tyre width of 28

Anybody tried putting 25's on these? Internal width is 19 and external 24.5

You should be OK... I run 25 on a rim with 20 internal. Small tyre on a big rim is better than big tyre on a small rim in terms of safety... I'd rather do that that fit a 40 mm tyre on a 13 mm rim
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    GLad they are finally selling them.
    In 2013 when UGO built my Archetypes and i sent them on to Wiggle, the workshop commented on how nice they were and said they were getting them in to sell.
    (wiggle were rebuilding a frame from warranty for me)

Matt
  • matt-h wrote:
    GLad they are finally selling them.
    In 2013 when UGO built my Archetypes and i sent them on to Wiggle, the workshop commented on how nice they were and said they were getting them in to sell.
    (wiggle were rebuilding a frame from warranty for me)

Matt

To close the circle it was last spring when I popped into BLB to pick up a pair of rims and they asked me if I wanted to build some wheels for Wiggle. It was the small matter of 40 wheels a week... :shock:
  • Wiggle sell these a bit over the market price, which is unusual, but they are hand built in the UK (by someone in the Norf, I was told)

Does their new warehouse in Wolverhampton count as "Norf"?
  • Wiggle sell these a bit over the market price, which is unusual, but they are hand built in the UK (by someone in the Norf, I was told)

Does their new warehouse in Wolverhampton count as "Norf"?

For someone based in Brick Lane even Hertfordshire counts as Norf!

Archetype rock... this is my favourite Archetype moment, courtesy of Okgo's blog, screw the wheelsuckers on Cosmics

http://firstseasonracing.com/

img_5058.jpg
  • Excellent photo :-)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    ha, you'll be pleased to hear ugo that I recently won a race with two of your wheels, the Archetype/Powertap and Hope/OpenPro. Who needs deep carbons?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I came 3rd in that 3 up break in the sprint - make of that what you will ;) - nothing to do with them being two of the most handy sprinters about, nope, nothing to do with it ;)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    I came 3rd in that 3 up break in the sprint - make of that what you will ;) - nothing to do with them being two of the most handy sprinters about, nope, nothing to do with it ;)

That's because you were doing all the work at the front... :mrgreen:
  • clazza
    As I said earlier, I ended up using Ultegra / Mavic A719 which now ride nicely with Panaracer Gravel King 28's.

However, they do seem a bit "dead" - would this be down to the weight of the rim or the build quality? Spokes dont seem to be highly tensioned (they were built years ago by Ribble) so I'm wondering if thats the cause, as opposed to the rime weight
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    As I said earlier, I ended up using Ultegra / Mavic A719 which now ride nicely with Panaracer Gravel King 28's.

However, they do seem a bit "dead" - would this be down to the weight of the rim or the build quality? Spokes dont seem to be highly tensioned (they were built years ago by Ribble) so I'm wondering if thats the cause, as opposed to the rime weight

Assuming you have double butted spokes, it's down to tyres and rims. I have a pair of Gravel King and they are slightly wooden. If you have plain gauge spokes, those contribute to the dead feel big time.
    Finally of course you went for a heavier rim, which does have a dead feel compared to a lighter one
  • clazza
    Thanks Ugo

Indeed they are double-butted spokes.

I like the 28 tyre in the wet and for some sketchy bits of road. The rims are 565g vs 470g for something like the Archetype.

For wheels that will be used mainly for wet weather and occasional loaded touring / roughstuff riding, sounds like Ultegra / Archetype would work well with a bit more "snap".

In this case, would there be any need / advantage in keeping the Ultegra / A719's? I should just sell them?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Thanks Ugo

Indeed they are double-butted spokes.

I like the 28 tyre in the wet and for some sketchy bits of road. The rims are 565g vs 470g for something like the Archetype.

For wheels that will be used mainly for wet weather and occasional loaded touring / roughstuff riding, sounds like Ultegra / Archetype would work well with a bit more "snap".

In this case, would there be any need / advantage in keeping the Ultegra / A719's? I should just sell them?

I would try some supple tyres first... Vittoria Pave/Corsa for instance
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you put a 25mm tyre on the A719 it will sit wider than 25mm so yes you can fit these. A supple tyre is always a good choice. The 25mm corsa CX tyres come up quite wide unlike the 25mm Pave's. On a archetype rim a 27mm Pave is only 27mm wide. On a narrow rim it is 25mm otherwise I like the Pave's.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • clazza
    They took a while to get to Hong Kong but I got some Pave's (27)

Quite a difference! Roll much faster / accelerate more quickly and certainly more feedback from the road. Just as good on sketchy / wet roads as the Gravel Kings.

The heavy rims will always be a bit slower but all in all, the wheels feel quicker and I think fine for the wet / training. No need for new wheels! (Unless I could get rid of these and a set of Open Pro's)