performance wheel bearing grease your opinion ?

ashtec
ashtec Posts: 13
edited February 2015 in Workshop
hey all

i am looking for advice on what wheel bearing grease to use what you you all recommend
ive seen Teflon , waterproof or just normal ?
not sure what to get so looking for your experience with the grease you have used as its time to service the bike ready for this year!!!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pretty much any grease will do the job. Anything off the shelf from Halfords, your LBS or your local auto parts store. Don't over-think it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    In case you're interested, the guys on the CTC forum gave the topic a good old going over a few years back. Lots of good info and discussion!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Rock n Roll Super Web Grease for bearings

http://www.rocklube.com/super_web.htm
  • For performance I would use a light weight or semi fluid grease (semi fluid is like salad cream in it's consistency) I would avoid waterproof grease in wheel bearings, reason being if you get water in it will not mix with the grease and when the water finds a bit of steel to rust, it then makes a very good grinding paste, where as soap/mineral grease will mix with the water and work better for longer.

The lighter the grease the easier it will leak out so will need replacing more often.

Sealed cartridge bearing come for the manufactures with one third of there free volume filled with grease as the nominal speed for bearings is around 1400rpm, any more grease in the bearing at that speed will cause overheating, and bearing damage. Cycle wheels will never go that fast so you can fill the free space with grease (wheel will be a little slower to turn) so not great for performance but a lot better for all weather training wheels.

As for make and type I use what ever is at work.

Just a side note I always remove the seals in the modern head set bearings and pack them solid then fit to the frame/forks they last a bit longer that way.

My opinion and experience based on 30+ years in maintenance in harsh environments.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Rock n Roll Super Web Grease for bearings

It might be a good quality grease but, it's terrible if you ride in the rain. I tried it a couple years ago- stripped / cleaned and repacked all bearings (headset, wheel bearings , bottom bracket etc). A couple of wet weeks in Wales and every bearing was toast.
  • jermas wrote:
    Rock n Roll Super Web Grease for bearings

It might be a good quality grease but, it's terrible if you ride in the rain. I tried it a couple years ago- stripped / cleaned and repacked all bearings (headset, wheel bearings , bottom bracket etc). A couple of wet weeks in Wales and every bearing was toast.

Wow surprised to hear that as that's not been my experience with it riding in all weathers.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I've got no idea what's good or not, but until now I've generally had reasonably cheap wheels with cup and cone bearings. I've used lithium grease I bought from my lbs, but I've also used vaseline at times. I tend to strip and clean them quite regularly though, maybe every 3-4 months.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I like the Shimano DA stuff. Not cheap but a tub lasts a while. I've put some in the kids bikes and other places of abuse and when I strip the bike down again I'm amazed that the grease is clean and still there - when I've used other stuff (and not super cheap either) things don't look as nice.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I tend to think that a good maintenance routine is more important than grease type. Most decent grease works the same despite the sexy names of some or magical promises of the text on the tin.

Clean bearings, etc., well but not too often that you're popping the seals every week. Pack well with decent grease...but don't go mad with the stuff as it will just force its way out. Refit everything correctly and adjust to the right degree of tension, with a minor adjustment after the first few rides. Job done :)