TacX turbo becoming choppy

Undertones
Undertones Posts: 52
edited February 2015 in Workshop
I've had this TacX turbo for 2 years now.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-blue-matic ... g-trainer/

It used to run perfectly fine at about resistance setting 8 (out of ten) for a whole winter of training. I was off the bike for a winter so it wasn't used more than twice (both times it was fine) and now I'm back to using it I'm finding it's really choppy to pedal on and I can't get a proper pedal stroke that won't destroy my knees above resistance setting of 4. This means I have to run a really high gear which is wearing out my components and making a lot more noise.

I'm not above opening it and having a play (it's a star nut so can't do it right now) but was hoping someone might know if there are any common issues with magnetic trainers? I couldn't find anything with a search.

Cheers,
Over and out.

Comments

• jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    My Tacx trainer (slightly different model) started playing up when the inner cable rusted inside the outer housing. I replaced the cable using a stainless inner gear cable and a brake outer. The hardest part is putting a copper crimp on the end of the cable at the correct length. If it's not in exactly the right place the resistance can be out, but can be corrected using the inline adjuster on the bottom of the lever.

A tacx spare cable and nipple is available but, I think it's listed as a speedmatic cable. Make sure it comes with a nipple/crimp