FSA BB30 to Shimano Hollowtech

pan280
pan280 Posts: 88
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Apologies for posting on something that i can see has been covered before but not really sure if i understand it!

So I have a Cannondale Synapse Alloy (2014) with an FSA BB30 crankset.
I'd like to be able to use my stages power meter on this bike too so i'd like to convert the chain set into an 105 11spd.

As far as I can tell i just need one of these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wheels-manufact ... dle-shims/

On the description it says: "You will need the 6806 bearings already installed into the BB30 shell to start this conversion." I am assuming i have these on since the FSA crankset is on?

Finally, do i need any special tools apart from a allen keys? e.g. A headset bearing press?
I already have the crank arm tool http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-holl ... -arm-tool/
But the bearing press seems quite expensive.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi converted my BB30 using the Praxis works adaptor, you can use that, an FSA adaptor that slides inside the frame, or this. I bought the Praxis because I read mixed reports about this one as it leaves the existing bearings in place and I was having problems with creaking from mine. I would think if you have no problem with yours this will probably be fine. I stand to be corrected but I think you need a press to fit these. I would just take it to the LBS and get them to fit them for a few quid rather than buy a press.
  • pan280
    ok thanks! this was my thought too, if i need a press then i might as well take it to the LBS and have them do it.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I use those wheels' adapter and they just slide into your existing bearing. NO press needed.
    I've done thousands of relatively dry miles without a creak at all. I can't comment on how they bear up in the wet as this is on my summer bike which does see a lot of rain.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The Wheels Manufacturing adapters are the cheapest,easiest and lightest option. They are made from Delrin (very tough plastic) to minimise any creaking. i've ridden them in many wet rides and they have been trouble free.

And Yes your bike already has 6806 bearings installed. The adapters slide into the bearings. no tools needed. only abit of grease.

You are going to need a 10mm hex wrench to remove the FSA BB30 crankset if you don't already have one.

I am selling a BB30 press tool (£5 posted) if you ever need to replace your bearings at some point. or you can make one ,they are simple to do.
    9999648594_bd9a299c3e_z.jpg
  • pan280
    Great thanks for the info! I haven't had any issues with my current BB so i will just go for the Wheels Manufacturing adapters. thanks for the heads up on the press tool too, i will look it up!
  • trailflow - I'd like one of those presses. Can you PM your contact details. Thanks.