Armoured undershorts

dova
dova Posts: 38
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I am thinking of getting some armoured undershorts just a few questions if anyone could help me.
1. Are they worth getting.
2. Is the undershort padding in the gentleman area as good as normal undershorts.
3 any recommendations.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are useless. Tried them and found that they get hot and give no useful protection.
  • dova
    Thanks for the reply.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    They won't stop you breaking your hip for example but for light crashes they do help, definitely not useless. I have some troy lee ones that don't get hot at all and were a bargain on CRC. I wear them all of the time as I hardly notice them, they do offer a degree of protection around hip upper thigh and coccyx. I wear Lycra padded shorts underneath no issues. Mine have foam padding, had some ones with solid pads and they weren't comfy.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Mine were Troy Lee as well. They might save a few light bruises and grazes but nothing much. I thought they were hot even without padded shorts.
    I think armour is only worth wearing if it protects from proper injuries which have a real effect on your life. Cuts and bruises are just a part of riding.
    At the moment i have a separated shoulder and that was while wearing my heavy duty armour, without the armour Im sure bones would have snapped.
  • fizik
    fizik Posts: 247
    Maybe you just run hot, fine for me. Certainly no harm in wearing them if they aren't too uncomfortable but everyone is different. I think they take the sting out of small offs but like you say don't expect them to stop major injury, they certainly didn't stop me knocking 3 teeth clean out :mrgreen:
  • rockmonkeysc
    If they did then you arent wearing them right. I dont want to know how you wear a helmet.
  • dova
    Thanks for the Replies, as I have just had a ACL op and now recovering I am in the market for a little more protection for once I get back. Think I should just wrap my self in bubble wrap with the amount of crashes I have.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Just accept that theyre going to happen. Even the heaviest armour gives only limited protection against serious injury.
    Maybe its worth trying to fix the cause of the crashes, there must be an issue in your riding if you keep crashing.