I've upgraded to 9-speed! Quick query

mankybianchi
mankybianchi Posts: 117
edited February 2015 in Workshop
I've managed to get a pair of post 2001 9 speed ergos in great condition and wonder about rear derailleur compatibility.

I've been using 8-speed Record ergos and rear mech since 1993 and was wondering if this mech will work with the 9-speed ergos? Are the changes in pull ratios too much to make it workable or can the clamping of the cable into the derailleur be altered as in this link http://www.highpath.net/highpath/cycles/info/rear.html?

I've also read that the jockey wheels would need to be changed. I take it that the difference is in the width of the body of the pulley rather than anything else, is that right? The internal size of a 9 speed chain is the same as 8 speed surely?

And if all else fails, can any newer derailleur be used, eg 10 or 11 speed?

Ta

Comments

• Finally an interesting topic.
    I think the derailleur geometry hasn't changed enough to make things un-workable... I have used an 8 speed Avanti derailleur on 9 and 10 speed systems and it did work.
    More recently I have used the newer type 9 speed ergos with the newest Veloce 10 derailleur and it works fine.
    Not sure about the jockey wheels, try and see if it works, I suspect the other way round would be worse, as the chain might not clear them
    left the forum March 2023
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I've managed to get a pair of post 2001 9 speed ergos in great condition and wonder about rear derailleur compatibility.

I've been using 8-speed Record ergos and rear mech since 1993 and was wondering if this mech will work with the 9-speed ergos? Are the changes in pull ratios too much to make it workable or can the clamping of the cable into the derailleur be altered as in this link http://www.highpath.net/highpath/cycles/info/rear.html?

Depend which cassette you intent to use...
    Because I had some old 8 speed derailleurs lying around I did some expiriments for my winterbike, all with 9 speed Ergo's from 2003:
    8 speed mech with 9 speed Campa cassette: works but slight undershifting.
    8 Speed mech with Shimano 9 speed cassette : spot on.
    8 Speed Campa cassette it will undershift poorly and needs tweaking.

Campa 9/10 speed derailleurs are geometrically the same, you might need wider pulley's for a 8 speed chain (which doesn't run wel over a 9 speed cassette anyway).
  • Ok, that's interesting Keezx. My plan is to use a Campag 9 speed cassette as I have a Campag hub which I'm building into a new rear wheel. I wasn't really looking into merging the two groupsets together to be honest so if I can do it without going down that route then I'd prefer that. Unless of course anyone can suggest why a Shimano cassette is a better choice?

I should get the 9 speed shifters this week so I can try them and see for myself,perhaps using various cable clamping positions.

Ugo: so it seems possible to use a 10 speed derailleur if plan A doesn't work. Nice one.
  • I was using a Shimano 9 cassette + Ergo + campag 10 speed rear mech, but it only worked with the Shiftmate (type 1). Stick to a Campag cassette.

yes, second generation 9 speed and 10 speed derailleurs are the same thing
    left the forum March 2023
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I would not use the old 8 speed mech (although possible) because the 9 and 10 speed ones shift much better.
    9 Speed Ergo's+ 10 speed mech+ 9 speed cassette= perfect match.