Mix & match with 11 Speed

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited February 2015 in Workshop
My new Canyon is Ultegra Di2. My other bikes are all Campag. I have a set of Zipp 404's (11 spd Campag freehub) which I would like to use on the Canyon instead of the Reynolds Strike SLG. Plan is to fit a new Chorus 11 spd cassette and KMC chain to the bike. From what I've read this should work ok. However does anyone have experience of doing this?

Or am I better off purchasing a Shimano freehub?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    No direct experience but received wisdom is that spacing on 11-speed Shimano and Campag cassettes is identical so your 11-speed Chorus cassette should be fine with the Ultegra Di2 rear mech.

A lot depends on the price differential between a new cassette/chain combo and a Shimano freehub for your Zipp 404's plus the hassle(or not) of swapping freehubs
  • il_principe
    arlowood wrote:
    No direct experience but received wisdom is that spacing on 11-speed Shimano and Campag cassettes is identical so your 11-speed Chorus cassette should be fine with the Ultegra Di2 rear mech.

A lot depends on the price differential between a new cassette/chain combo and a Shimano freehub for your Zipp 404's plus the hassle(or not) of swapping freehubs

Cheers. I get everything at trade, so price is less of an issue.
  • All good
    left the forum March 2023
  • il_principe
    All good

Am I best off using a Campag, KMC or Shimano chain?
  • If you can't match the chain to both cassettes, at least match it to the front rings
    left the forum March 2023
  • I'm running a bike fitted with Campag Chorus and using a Shimano Ultegra cassette on one of my wheels. It needs a tweak of the cable adjuster when I swap but no more than that.

I can also confirm that despite Campag not doing a Chorus cassette with more than 29T, the Ultegra 11-32 works just fine.