Torque Wrench or Tool Kit?

mercuryspooning
mercuryspooning Posts: 3
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Hey,

I'm looking to buy a tool kit for my bikes but I can't decide whether to buy a decent kit (specifically looking at the Park Tool AK 38 http://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/p ... c-tool-kit ) or whether to buy a decent torque wrench.

I feel like most of the maintenance I do is with Allen keys... Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly but I thought that a torque wrench provides me with a range of different attachments (mostly allen keys) and allows me to fine tune it to the manufacturers specifications.

Currently I own a carbon roadie;
A pretty shit fixie that I use for commuting short distances;
and an old Apollo I that I'm looking to fix up.

In addition to those three bikes I would like to be able to service my girlfriends bike and my roommates bike (modern roadie and old cruiser, respectively).

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty new to bike maintenance but even with the little I've done, I'm quite enjoying it and would like to get stuck into some harder harder problems.

I can't afford a tool kit and torque wrench right now. Can someone please give me some advice as to what I should get?

Cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a torque wrench is only that. if you don't have anything to fit to it you will not be able to use it.

a tool kit would be better.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Okay, so does the torque wrench have its own bits or can it attach to the bits and pieces from my tool kit? (assuming I get park tools kit and torque wrench)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends. they tens to be 1/2" or 3/8" or 1/4" square drive.

many things can be fitted with suitable adaptors/reducers/holders.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You don't 'need' a torque wrench (you can argue about the necessity in another thread) - but you do 'need' a tool kit.
  • Okay, so does the torque wrench have its own bits or can it attach to the bits and pieces from my tool kit? (assuming I get park tools kit and torque wrench)

Wrenches like the M-Part come with a selection of bits which are handy for carbon parts, but I also have a B&Q 3/8" brute for the big stuff as well - that required separate bits. A lot of the Park Tool add ons like the BB cup remover and pedal crows foot are 3/8" so it's handy to have.

Personally I wouldn’t go out and buy the PT toolkit. You can build up an extensive selection of tools by buying from tool traders on eBay and the quality is often on par with PT’s stuff.

Buy a tool box from B&Q, plan on what you want to do with the bike and build up from there.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I have this one:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWTK/job ... e-tool-kit

I've build two bikes out of it, and replaced a couple of BB's, plus done lots of other fettling.

It is not the best and I have got some extra parts, but its generally very good.

Extra parts:
    - A good large adjustable spanner
    - A good set of cable cutters
    - A good set of standard spanners (already had)
    - A Superstar components torque wrench.
    - A Park Tool PCS 9 work stand.

I would personally only go further up market as you learn what you need.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Agree with thegreatdivide....if you buy the kit there will be a bunch of stuff you probably wont use.
    If you do not have a feel for correct torque settings, I would go for a torque wrench and get a cheap socket set and decent set of hex bits to fit it. Build your toolkit up as you go.

ps...I have a good feel for torque settings, but ALWAYS use a torque wrench when a setting is specified.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I have a good feel for torque settings, so NEVER use a torque wrench when a setting is specified.
    Nothing breaks or comes loose..... :wink: