How To Turn A 10 Year Old Into A Climbing God

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited February 2015 in MTB general
My son hates hills, but when you add snow on top of them it's a whole different story, I have never seen him rip up them before so fast :D but ever up has a down boy did he moan afterwards his feet were freezing :lol:
P010215_1335_01_zps12488ed3.jpg

P010215_1312_zpsdc0c0720.jpg

P010215_1321_zps8f630168.jpg

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    light bike, right gearing, proper bike fit and practice to get fitter. no one likes climbing though :lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Brilliant, my two would do the same!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    POAH wrote:
    no one likes climbing though :lol:

I do - I prefer it to descending :shock: :oops:

The doctors say I may need to see someone :lol:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Ferrals wrote:
    POAH wrote:

I do - I prefer it to descending :shock: :oops:

The doctors say I may need to see someone :lol:

Yeah, I like climbing, too. I wouldn't go so far as saying I prefer it to descending, but it's definitely part of the fun. Even the hell climbs that burst my heart and beat me are something to savour after the day's over.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Its partially that I'm just chicken on descents! but clearing a super technical climb is a real accomplishment in my book, there are a couple I just can't do - nearly made one on the weekend and spotted a sneaky line that may allow me up one bit so looking forward to going and trying over and over again next weekend till i make it!
  • Yes up hills are one of lifes little challenges and a good way of seeing how things are improving, well that's what I keep telling my son, remember how far you got up it last time and see if you can beat it next time, in the end you will be up and over it if you keep at it :)
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Fantastic scenery - where's the ride?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    POAH wrote:
    Another one here who gets a masochistic kick out of a lung shredding heart busting leg destroying climb.....well that's the poor saps I leave behind (in my dreams) described anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craker wrote:
    Fantastic scenery - where's the ride?

Hi.

Its Bwlch Nant y Arian area but off the trail centre trails, over by a place called Angler Retreat, there are shed loads of trails all over the place there.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Do like a carrot and stick thing with a broom handle tied to the bike, but instead of a carrot use an iPhone. :)
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Its Bwlch Nant y Arian area but off the trail centre trails, over by a place called Angler Retreat, there are shed loads of trails all over the place there.

Yes I rode the long trail at Nant Y Arian a couple of Januarys ago. Freezing blo0dy cold, my feet were like blocks of ice as I remember (after ploughing through a proper deep puddle at enough of a speed to splash myself from head to toe).

Well done to your lad, can't get mine outside at the moment...
  • craker wrote:
    iwilldoit wrote:

Yes I rode the long trail at Nant Y Arian a couple of Januarys ago. Freezing blo0dy cold, my feet were like blocks of ice as I remember (after ploughing through a proper deep puddle at enough of a speed to splash myself from head to toe).

Well done to your lad, can't get mine outside at the moment...

If you have done the Sydyfrin trail before, when you along Llyn Nantymoch you turn back up on yourself to the left to keep on the trail, instead of doing that carry straight on for around another mile on the forestry road and the area in the pics is on your right after a small lake.

My son is very good at going uphill when his head in the right place, his feet were like blocks of ice, but he did refuse point blank to put his waterproof socks on, so he has only one person to blame :lol: