Brake - screws

robertsims
robertsims Posts: 141
edited February 2015 in Workshop
Hi. I'm fitting some second hand brake calipers (tiagra) and they seem loose basically in that the two arms are wobbly. I've mounted them and done up the mounting screw from the rear good and tight. There is another screw on the front though on the right hand side as you look at them. How tight does this need to be (as obviously if do it really tight the arms won't move) because at the moment it's quite loose and the caliper will brake okay but doesn't want to return much when I release the brake lever... any ideas?
Triban 3

Comments

• jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    The bolt (pivot) you mentioned needs to be set just right for proper brake action. It has a lock nut on the back of it. This needs to be loosened first before making adjustments. If I were you, I'd remove the bolt -clean/re-grease /reassemble then adjust. When the locknut is finally tightened it can cause the brakes to bind, so several attempts might be necessary to get them right (not too tight or sloppy).
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Found the same problem with mine, this isn't a bad article.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/dual-pivot-brake-service

I attempted to take the back one apart but couldn't separate the centre pivot. Taking out the small grub screws, a liberal spray of GT85 and working it in and out loosened it up nicely. I also flipped the plastic spring holder over on the back brake. The front one I just sprayed and worked in and out.

Not got the bike fully back together yet but the back brake feels so much better.