Reading Velodrome - anyone on here ridden it?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,584
edited February 2015 in Track
Contemplating training and carrying out the accreditation, just wondered if anyone had first hand experience?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Used to ride there regularly - but moved away, so not been there for many years now. Not much to say about it really, standard outdoor velodrome with relatively shallow banking. Apparently a bit the worse for wear these days (or so I've read), but someone more local would probably know better than me...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    My son used to go there saturday mornings a few years back. For about a quid I think, they lent the kids a bike (often Islabikes) and taught them how to ride the track/in packs etc. Amazingly cheap mornings entertainment for him but he really didnt get on with it - much prefers riding the open road, wasnt pushing himself much on the track and didnt like riding in tight formation so we stopped going.

No idea what sort of programme they do for adults but all the people running it seemed really friendly and to know their stuff.

Track was OK - everything looked a but dated but worked perfectly well.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Thanks for the replies gents,

I'll probably wonder along to see what a session is like, and then take it from there.

Looks like you have to train and gain accreditation over around a dozen weeks which is fair enough.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • It is pretty flat, more so than Herne Hill, and tactically is closer to a road crit racing than indoor track.