Cars n coffee February

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited February 2015 in The bottom bracket
car meet this morning, all the usual suspects (54 cars today) plus a couple of new ones...

Nice XK

DSC03271.jpg

A great E type in dark green

DSC03260.jpg

DSC03267.jpg

DSC03266.jpg

A Volvo Sport

DSC03259.jpg

DSC03269.jpg

Breakfast coffee (note winter clouds :D )

DSC03264.jpg
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Those Jags are Gorgeous, is that a Lancia or Fiat soft top in the background? Hope you didn't lean your bike on anyone's paintwork today.
  • team47b
    edited February 2015
    It was a Fiat sport spider Pininfarina.

I was on the hybrid so resisted the temptation to lean it on anything although the bumper on the back of the E type looked the right height :D
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Awesome cars. How many usually attend the meet ?
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    Last couple of months there have been around 50, used to be about thirty, growing each month. The mad mini club enthusiasts bolster the numbers, there are usually about ten of these, today there was a nice non woody mini countryman, or is that a mini van with side windows, not sure!

No bubble car today as i have the steering box in pieces still, maybe next month! :D
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    What's the weather like ?
    I would love to do another cars and coffee, I've done a few in Miami and Dubai but not in Europe.
    I am told they are going to run one in London in the summer. I love the Classic cars and would have a 356 or a karmann Ghia in my collection anyday but my opinion is that these cars need to be shown.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    VTech wrote:
    What's the weather like ?
    I would love to do another cars and coffee, I've done a few in Miami and Dubai but not in Europe.
    I am told they are going to run one in London in the summer. I love the Classic cars and would have a 356 or a karmann Ghia in my collection anyday but my opinion is that these cars need to be shown.

Weather a bit cold, 16c

Someone turned up last month with a Karmann ghia.

I have titled this cars and coffee, it is not connected to any other event by a similar name, it was just that there was not enough space in the BB title bar to give its correct title of amigos dos veiculos Classicos do barlavento de junta de freguesia de Armaçâo de Pêra! :D
  • team47b wrote:

DSC03260.jpg
    Old friend had one of these 25 years ago. Spent many hours watching/helping him fix it again and again and again... :D It only had a couple of hot dog mufflers on it, so was quite, er, raucous...

Mind you, when it *was* running, it was glorious. We did a middle of the night run from Gold Coast to Brisbane, 87 km door to door in 25 and a bit minutes, and that was with quite a few red lights in the first few kays. Epic.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    team47b wrote:

DSC03260.jpg
    Old friend had one of these 25 years ago. Spent many hours watching/helping him fix it again and again and again... :D It only had a couple of hot dog mufflers on it, so was quite, er, raucous...

Mind you, when it *was* running, it was glorious. We did a middle of the night run from Gold Coast to Brisbane, 87 km door to door in 25 and a bit minutes, and that was with quite a few red lights in the first few kays. Epic.

I've also got a soft spot for the e-type, did a classic car rally in Corsica in one, stopping of in Monaco to see some of the owners friends. Great memories of driving it around the gp circuit. Shame the rally ended up on the back of a recovery truck
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I like the painted wires on the XK in the first picture, so much more tasteful than chrome. E types are lovely, once drove a friends S1 back from Le Mans. Phenomenal car, great engine and looked the dogs danglies. Headlights, steering, brakes and gearbox left a little to be desired, not helped by the fact that I was rather tired after 3 days drinking.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I like the painted wires on the XK in the first picture, so much more tasteful than chrome. E types are lovely, once drove a friends S1 back from Le Mans. Phenomenal car, great engine and looked the dogs danglies. Headlights, steering, brakes and gearbox left a little to be desired, not helped by the fact that I was rather tired after 3 days drinking.

Series 1 is the one to have, just perfect.

My mate's was the 4.2 litre version though. Memorable moment racing uphill against a 308 GTB (The Magnum PI version) where he was losing ground a bit, attempted to shift from 4th back to 3rd at about 85 mph at which point the clutch promptly disintegrated into it's constituent molecules... :mrgreen:

I do remember blind terror coming over a slight crest in the road at about 120 mph in it one day and feeling the car get verrrrrrry light. Phaaaaaark...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • team47b
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I like the painted wires on the XK in the first picture, so much more tasteful than chrome.

A better pic of those wheels...

DSC03272.jpg
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    E type, over hyped... I'll start running whilst everyone else gets the pitchforks
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    sa0u823e wrote:
    E type, over hyped... I'll start running whilst everyone else gets the pitchforks
    Pitchfork out!

The E-Type is not over hyped.
    What people forget is that it's main selling point was that it was cheap. :shock:
    It was better than a Ferrari, looked better than a Ferrari, and was half the price.
    Even Enzo Ferrari said it was the World's most beautiful car.

It doesn't stand up to more modern cars but it was a game changer at the time.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    The E type was launched in the same year as me. It is a couple of months older.
    If only I still attracted admiring glances after all these years. :lol:

On the other hand, I should be quite happy that grown men do not find me at all desirable. :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    sa0u823e wrote:
    I'm going to get burned. Old cars just don't interest me (old as in ones that predate me driving).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I agree the long bonnet has a certain charm, and it was certainly better looking than some of its contemporary rivals, but as a car it left a lot to be desired. Maybe I am just too young
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Ballysmate wrote:

On the other hand, I should be quite happy that grown men do not find me at all desirable. :wink:
    You're desirable too me Bally :D in a foolish kind of way :wink:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    seanoconn wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

You haven't taken up mountain biking have you?
  • seanoconn
    Ballysmate wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I looked at one earlier, had a strange effect :( And added an extra o to my spelling of 'to'
  • veronese68
    seanoconn wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I looked at one earlier, had a strange effect :( And added an extra o to my spelling of 'to'
    Fat tyres have more grip on roundabouts under the A3.
  • seanoconn
    Veronese68 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Smart @rse :roll: :lol:
  • veronese68
    seanoconn wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Smart @rse :roll: :lol:
    :mrgreen: Fat tyres were great fun through Bushy Park this morning too.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    team47b wrote:
    Someone turned up last month with a Karmann ghia.
    Bad picture, and I'm sure not as nice as the one that turned up but my mates Karmann ghia

Screenshot_2015-02-03-12-53-50_1_zpsd490c6e8.jpg
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    And if by dark green you meen racing green (can't really tell from the pic) then his dad's got the same e-type as well
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    to give its correct title of amigos dos veiculos Classicos do barlavento de junta de freguesia de Armaçâo de Pêra! :D

Or Pele' for Short?

My mates dad owns this place, so get to try some nice stuff occasionally.

http://www.sherwoodrestorations.co.uk/