whch gearset?

pip001
pip001 Posts: 133
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
the time has come to replace my 3x9 gear train and shifters.what are the pros and cons of the ten speed systems and do you go 3x10 or 2x10 ? bikes mainly used offroad but lots of tough climbs.any advice would be very helpful ta.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Work out what gears you need and decide from there.
    No one can tell you.
    I need my granny.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I use 2 x 10 and can get up anything so far but just make sure you have the gear ratios you need for your riding.

Some have moved to 1 x 10 convincing themselves they will be fine and have struggled. If you need 3x10 then that's the best choice.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you aren't replacing the cranks you may as well stay with 3x, the weight saving from one chainring is as little as 35g for an alloy ring!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    1x10 is great as long as you have the determination to keep cranking hard up hills and dont mind a little suffering. It is faster if you can make it work because you can't slowly spin up hills in a really low gear.
    I wouldnt go back to having a granny ring and a big ring is only useful on road.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    3x8 :mrgreen:
  • Recently moved from 2x10 to 1x10, as Rockmonkey says if your willing to put a bit more effort in then it's a lot faster. Wouldn't go back to a granny ring or big ring either but it's what suits you that matters.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's all completely personal at the end of the day.

I liked 1x10, I like 1x11 more. Personally it's not a compromise for me, I wouldn't have gone with it if it was - I don't want additional suffering, nor do I want to have to walk up things. 2x9 was also good, 28/40 were nice ratios, or 28/42 with 10 speed. Personally I see no reason whatsoever to have a 22t chain ring, whether single, double or triple up front. YMMV - go for a ride and really think about the gears you use.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Since the OP mentions "lots of tough climbs" I'd go with 2x10. I particularly like the way it fits with the idea of a slow range and a fast range
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er