shimano ceramic piston

sofaboy73
sofaboy73 Posts: 574
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
i've had a nightmare and cracked one of the ceramic pistons on my zee calipers (long story, but essentially my fault)

i've been told that you can't buy the pistons & seals as replacement parts and you have to buy a whole new caliper and can't find any pistons on line?

surely this can't be right? loathed to spend £60 to replace what can be a £10 part at most.

any ideas?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Have a look through the shimano tech docs http://si.shimano.com/ If you can find a part number you can order it through a Shimano dealer. It might take a while to arrive because they sometimes have to come from the Netherlands.

The piston might be the same across a range of calipers so maybe you could pick up a cheap Deore or Acera caliper and break it for the piston. Chain Reaction might have a spare http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=shimano+brake+caliper
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The only other caliper with the same pistons in the Saint.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    had a look through the online tech documents and pistons not listed as a separate part, just the caliper as a whole.

i'm stunned by this as it means the calipers aren't serviceable and you just have to bin them if you have a problem with the seals or pistons.

might give the UK distributor a go as a bit of a last ditch attempt. is it still maddison?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont know if its still Madison sorry but ring round all your local bike shops and ask if they have a spare damaged caliper in the spares box that you can break.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've never seen a Shimano calliper you get spares for, not sure where stubs was coming from, it is a new calliper I'm afraid. As stated if you can find another damaged you 'may' be able to do a swap.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Edit:Forget it, didnt read post properly
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It is Madison, but yes, new caliper time.
  • thanks for the input.

bullet bit and new caliper ordered. still at least i have some spares for next time now!