Structural Engineer, Kingston area

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,297
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
As per the title, can anyone recommend a decent structural engineer in the Kingston area? Our neighbour is extending the back of his house and is taking out the back and side walls. So we need to get an inspection done and appoint someone to oversee it from our side.
Ta

Comments

• Extensions... the quintessential British middle class thing to do. I would put a blanket ban on extensions... they are utter monstrosities that reduce the capacity of the soil to drain water in the name of a few extra feet of room to hoard some more junk...

Just saying... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    You're not wrong. Because of the ridiculous house prices either people can't afford to move and extend or developers buy the houses that haven't been done up and make pots of money extending them. This is the latter, the bloke has proved himself to be a complete liar and has gone against every verbal agreement we've had. So the only option is to make sure I'm fully covered legally and in writing. All a complete pain in the rear.
    We've lived here 20 years now and will soon have one of the few unextended houses, but I do have a garage. :-)
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    You're not wrong. Because of the ridiculous house prices either people can't afford to move and extend or developers buy the houses that haven't been done up and make pots of money extending them. This is the latter, the bloke has proved himself to be a complete liar and has gone against every verbal agreement we've had. So the only option is to make sure I'm fully covered legally and in writing. All a complete pain in the rear.
    We've lived here 20 years now and will soon have one of the few unextended houses, but I do have a garage. :-)

As properties go, this country is really going to the dogs, so to speak... it is all complete hysteria and madness. There doesn't seem to be a political alternative either, I feel all parties are aligned in supporting the existing madness... oh well... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I assume from this that your houses are attached and this relates to ajoining walls.

If that is the case then under the party wall act you can appoint a party wall surveyor to make sure everything is in order and the neighbour will have to pay the cost.

Your neighbour is also required to put notice to you in writing that he intends to carry out work under the party wall act and you're entitled to object.

Have a read here to see if the work is likely to be covered under the act:

https://www.gov.uk/party-wall-etc-act-1996-guidance
  • veronese68
    Thanks, I'll have a read.
    Yes, it's a party wall job on a semidetached house. We've had the notice and need to appoint someone. Quite major work so I want to err on the side of caution.