Stronglight Dural Chainrings - cheap, but good?

d_o_g
d_o_g Posts: 286
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello.

Big ring on the bike is worn to bvggery, and as I'm just about to replace chain & cassette, I figure that I should sort that out, too.

Being a cheapskate, these Stronglight Dural Chainrings appeal. However I can't find any reviews online regarding whether or not they are made of cheese and so represent a false economy. Has anyone used these who can let me know their experience?

Thanks!

Comments

• Can't offer any info as to their longevity, but if you go to Ribble they can be had a lot cheaper!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    According Spa cycles who sell lots of TA and Stronglight rings, the Zicral ones are cheaper in the long run. If you've worn a big ring out then you'll do it again so I'd pay the extra. I did buy a Stronglight touring triple from Spa and spec'd it with Zicral outer and middle ring and Dural inner as I was hardly ever using that.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Spa's own brand Zircal are also worth a look:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s210p0
  • The price of the Zicral is very close to the original Shimano parts, which if nothing else, will match the colour of your chain set, if you care about these details. Shimano has stopped making silver chain sets quite a few years back
    left the forum March 2023
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I have used both materials on DIY projects, sawing, filing etc. Zircal is much harder and tougher.
    Both work OK as chainrings.
    Plain, un-profiled teeth may not pick up the chain as well on indexed systems.
  • MichaelW wrote:
    I have used both materials on DIY projects, sawing, filing etc. Zircal is much harder and tougher.
    Both work OK as chainrings.
    Plain, un-profiled teeth may not pick up the chain as well on indexed systems.

They are profiled
    left the forum March 2023
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    used a 39t Dural showed wear frighteningly quick, Im on 39/52 Zircral now and they are wearing well. I use a KMC X 10 93 chain. Experienced chain suck on and off after initialy fitting but i think the rings have worn in a bit after a few thousand km as dont get problems as much now

buy Zircral as said above
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • agreed, prices are so close it's hardly worth saving a tenner over.

a prematurely worn chain and cassette are a big drag, and expensive.

no one took up cycling to save money :-)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Thanks all, as per lemuppet's direction I 'went' to Ribble and bought the Zicral one for £23. No 53's so I erred on the girly side and got a 52.