Road and Forest tracks around Cardiff

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited May 2015 in Routes
In March I am heading to Cardiff with work for 3 months so planning to take the van and my MTB and road bike with me.

So first off how safe will my kit be in the van not knowing Cardiff in the slightest.

Also suggestions where i can go for runs on the MTB not MTB courses as such just trail riding etc. and how about Road riding plenty places to go?

Finally any suggestions on a Good Gym / Swimming pool i could sign up to for 3 months?

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Loads of mtb rides around castles coch. Search "tongwynlais" on a map and you'll see forest fawr just above. You can access it via the Taff trail too, so it's rideable from Cardiff centre.

Loads of road bike routes too. All long the levels towards Newport. Or the other away around Barry and sully. If you're feeling fit you can take in Caerphilly mountain too.

Running down and around Cardiff bay over the barrage is a nice run.

Not sure about a gym and pool though sorry mate.

There's a user on here called jim (jimothy) who lives in Cardiff and may be worth messaging for more info on where exactly the trails are.

Hope this helps
  • Thats great info thanks for that, I will also get in contact with jimothy
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Cardiff International Pool is a 50 metre pool + there's the family friendly pool adjacent to it (slides, flumes, rapids etc) and a gym. Can't comment on the gym though. It's on the other side of the bay to the opera house.
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    The safety of your kit all depends on the area. Like any city Cardiff has the very nice and the very nasty areas. Any idea where you'll be staying yet?
  • timboellis
    timboellis Posts: 223
    Sorry i never got back to this post, i am in a secure lockup parking so thats all good looking over the river Taff.

Down here until August now, I have been out on the MTB a few times up the Taff trail and done a few 70 mile routes out to Brilstol / Bath and out to Newport etc.

Still lots to see .