New bike - query on tyres

saitrix
saitrix Posts: 12
edited February 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I have just got myself a Scott Scale 760 hardtail, it comes with Maxxis Ikon (just the cheap dual compound ones) as standard fit. Are they a good tyre to use at mainly trail centres? So far I have been to places like Hicks Lodge and Cannock Chase with Sherwood Pines on the list to go to. Reason I ask is my last bike had Nobby Nics and Rocket Rons fitted and these new Ikon's look a lot less nobbly.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Dual compound doesn't mean necessarily mean cheap. Do the tyres feel ropey in any way?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try them and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Anything works at Hicks, same at Sherwood, Cannock is also pretty forgiving as long as they work on the wet polished pebbles (it wont take long to find out). Natural type trails are less forgiving.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • saitrix
    saitrix Posts: 12
    That's good to hear, apparently the Ikon is decent on rocks but as people say, I guess I will soon find out!
  • The Rookie
    Quick word of warning about Cannock, the very first section from Swinnertons is much less grippy than the rest, do not attack it hard first time out, and don't panic if the grip feels sketchy, once you get over Steg' and further in then you'll have fairly consistent grip.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well I gave them a go and I found the Ikons feel like a car aquaplaning when I am riding over mud. I really don't have much confidence with them, that's both the front and rear tyres.

So any suggestions on what to get? I don't mind having a winter and summer set of tyres (which from what I have read the Ikons will make nice summer tyres).
  • If you liked the tyres on your old bike, go with them?

My upcoming HT build is going to have a Maxxis Ardent rear, with a High Roller II up front. Seems quite a popular combo, and i loved High Rollers when i used to MTB about 8 years ago.
  • saitrix wrote:
    Well I gave them a go and I found the Ikons feel like a car aquaplaning when I am riding over mud. I really don't have much confidence with them, that's both the front and rear tyres.

So any suggestions on what to get? I don't mind having a winter and summer set of tyres (which from what I have read the Ikons will make nice summer tyres).

If you're riding mud regularly then you need better mud tyres. There aren't many tyres that don't feel like they're "aquaplaning" otherwise. Bontrager XR Mud & Specialized Storm Control are the two best allrounders (they ride well in the dry and roll quickly), Panaracer Trailrakers are great in the mud but drag like mad elsewhere.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have found that on hard packed trails at trail centres tyre choice isnt critical, just about anything will work fine. Its on natural trails where the differences show up.
  • The Rookie
    Agreed (as mentioned in my first reply above).
  • Thanks for the replies, I went for a set of 2015 Nobby Nics so I can mix and match with the Ikons depending on the conditions. I think I may need to drop my pressures more as I only weigh 62kg so I guess I should be running sub 30psi? I am not tubeless if that changes things.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Personal I suppose but I aim for around 30 back, 25 front and I'm over 90kg.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    My daughter is a similar weight, you want to be running someone around 25psi as a baseline, the difference she found between 30 and 25psi (on NN's) was significant, not just in grip but also at the higher pressure they were prone to 'pinging off' objects as well rather than conforming round them.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I'm 61kg and on my NN's I would be running 22-23psi front and 25-26psi back.

I found that there was a 4psi zone that NN's worked best.

I have used them at 18 front 22 back in very soft conditions but you do not want to be rolling fast at these pressures, too much roll on the rims.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Tyre pressure depends on more than just rider weight. Its also effected by tyre make, model and size, your riding style, the terrain you ride, ground conditions and your preference for grip or speed.
    I run my tyres anywhere between 22psi (triple ply muddy mary in wet conditions) to 40psi (rubber queen race sport on dry hard pack non technical long distance)
  • Brilliant I currently have them at 30 but I will drop them down to 25psi and see how they feel there.
  • The Rookie
    Tyre pressure depends on more than just rider weight.
    True, but what matters is the form of the tyre when you are on the bike, with my daughter on her bike, from the same starting pressure they end up less 'conforming' to the surface than with me aboard, the drop of 5psi we used meant hey ended up about the same shape as when I was aboard, that is obviously for the same tyre on the same rim and the same use.