Can I keep my chain clean in winter...

2»

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Best thing to do is accept that chains are effectively consumable items (and relatively inexpensive ones at that) - and will need replacing periodically, regardless of how you lubricate them.

That said, it is obviously better to have a clean drive train that a dirty one.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Imposter wrote:
    Best thing to do is accept that chains are effectively consumable items (and relatively inexpensive ones at that) - and will need replacing periodically, regardless of how you lubricate them.

That said, it is obviously better to have a clean drive train that a dirty one.
    Agreed. I'd be a little more worried about wear to the chainrings due to poor lubrication as they're more expensive and more hassle to replace. As far as lube performance is concerned there are 4 considerations I can think of as listed below.
    I like light lube re-applied every few rides or after each wet one. I've used heavy lubes and been satisfied with them too. The balance of maintenance and dirt accumulation is really the only real difference to me.

Smooth, low friction running - good lubrication provides a smooth & quiet transmission, clean gear shifts
    Smooth, low friction running - reduced wear on components
    Robust oil or wax film - reduces/eliminates corrosion
    Collection of foreign material - dust/muck/debris stick to the lube. Thick and sticky lube = both stay on the chain, Light lube = both are shed from the chain.
  • Paraffin.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    +1
    This winter I've started using paraffin (candle wax, cost 5 /kg).
    Recipe:
    Once a week (typical 3 to 5 wet rides) the chain off the bike and boil it 10 min in water+soap (old cooking pan)
    1 Liter vegetable can with paraffin au bain marie in the same pan, submerge chain 2 minutes.
    Fish chain out and put immediately back on bike (cogs and chainrings already cleaned).
    Chain runs up to 300 kms with remarkable little noise (which proves lubrication)
    Cogs and chainrings pick up very little dirt.
    You can grab the chain and get no dirty hands.
    No rust even after 5 wet rides.
    No maintenance (on the drivetrain) after the ride.

Tempted to do this in the summer too....
  • ai_1
    Keezx wrote:
    +1
    This winter I've started using paraffin (candle wax, cost 5 /kg).
    Recipe:
    Once a week (typical 3 to 5 wet rides) the chain off the bike and boil it 10 min in water+soap (old cooking pan)
    1 Liter vegetable can with paraffin au bain marie in the same pan, submerge chain 2 minutes.
    Fish chain out and put immediately back on bike (cogs and chainrings already cleaned).
    Chain runs up to 300 kms with remarkable little noise (which proves lubrication)
    Cogs and chainrings pick up very little dirt.
    You can grab the chain and get no dirty hands.
    No rust even after 5 wet rides.
    No maintenance (on the drivetrain) after the ride.

Tempted to do this in the summer too....
    Not 100% clear wht you're describing here.
    After boiling the chain in soapy water you put a tin can full of paraffin in the boiling soapy water as a bain marie and then submerge the chain in the paraffin - is that correct?
    I presume you rinse the chain between the soapy water and paraffin stages?
    Where does the candle wax come in?
  • keezx
    Yes, you understood correct, tin can half filled with paraffin is sufficient.
    No I don't rince the chain in between, maybe I should, though there can't be much left in the chain after boiling.
    The candle wax can is put in the boiling pan after boiling the chain.
    Good point for improvement.....but needs another container with hot water.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Just wipe chain with a cloth using some gt85 as solvent.

Ride.
  • keezx
    No sir,doesn't do anything useful.
    You can leave that as well.
  • dodgy
    Keezx wrote:

Keeps my chain clean, keeps many many other people's chains clean. Yours is a 'special' chain or something?
  • keezx
    Wiping the dirt off the outside is mainentance for your eye and does nothing useful for your chain.
    So you create the illusion of a well maintained chain, but de facto it isn't.
    You may go on this way 50 years, but the facts do not change.
  • ai_1
    dodgy wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

Keeps my chain clean, keeps many many other people's chains clean. Yours is a 'special' chain or something?
    Are you using the GT85 just as a cleaner or also as a lube?
  • dodgy
    Ai_1 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

Like I said, just as a solvent, wipe vigorously with a rag until it's dry, then lube as normal.
  • ai_1
    dodgy wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

Like I said, just as a solvent, wipe vigorously with a rag until it's dry, then lube as normal.
    No, the "lube as normal" part is new, thus my question!
    As originally written, one could be forgiven for thinking you were using GT85 only.
  • dodgy
    Ai_1 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

As originally written, one could be forgiven for thinking you were using GT85 only.

In my original post here is what I said "I experimented at one time taking my chain off to clean it. Waste of time. Now I just wipe the chain with some GT85 used as a solvent, then re-lube"
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Amazing the debate that oiling a chain can produce.

While we're at it, who doesn't wear a helmet?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Yeah and what about Hi Viz and RLJ's?
  • keezx
    DesWeller wrote:
    Amazing the debate that oiling a chain can produce.

While we're at it, who doesn't wear a helmet?

Sometimes I don't.
    Should be in the top 3 of most debated items, next to chain lubrication and what gears to use in the mountains.....
  • ai_1
    dodgy wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

In my original post here is what I said "I experimented at one time taking my chain off to clean it. Waste of time. Now I just wipe the chain with some GT85 used as a solvent, then re-lube"
    Okay so. I clearly missed your original post and only saw the following one which just said: "Just wipe chain with a cloth using some gt85 as solvent. Ride." Thus I was confused. All clear now....time to move on.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    This Winter I've lubed this once and all that did was attract much more dirt :lol:
    I'll chuck it away in May, no time for that cleaning lark.

fixed_zpsd6aae179.jpg?t=1423685125
  • After two previous years of trial and error, I've settled on preferred technique.

Post ride wash - Fenwicks diluted cleaner, hose pipe, GT85 over the chain, a wipe down with a rag and then a re-oil.

Weekly - remove chain, place in bowl with undiluted Fenwicks FS1, scrub with a brush, dry and reattach. Using a split link is so effective.

Oiling - one drop onto each link of Finish Line Cross Country keeps the links lubed but doesn't attract too much dirt.

Fundamentally accept the chain will get dirty; just settle on a cleaning technique to suit you.
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • ai_1
    After two previous years of trial and error, I've settled on preferred technique.

Post ride wash - Fenwicks diluted cleaner, hose pipe, GT85 over the chain, a wipe down with a rag and then a re-oil.

Weekly - remove chain, place in bowl with undiluted Fenwicks FS1, scrub with a brush, dry and reattach. Using a split link is so effective.

Oiling - one drop onto each link of Finish Line Cross Country keeps the links lubed but doesn't attract too much dirt.

Fundamentally accept the chain will get dirty; just settle on a cleaning technique to suit you.
    I like to accept that the chain will be dirty allowing me to only clean and/or re-lube as needed and not worry if about whether my chain is shiny or not. I really marvel and wonder at people's commitment to these cleaning activities after every ride. I just get of the bike and forget about it until the next ride unless I was out in torrential rain or noted anything that needed attention while out. It's served me well to date!
  • I can usually find time for a hose down at least, but then more often than not my rides are once a week. If it was once a day I would take a different approach.
  • Ali_1 - after snapping a chain from poor maintenence I'l take my chance with a brew of tea and a quick chain clean. Saves me money in the long run.
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • ai_1
    Ali_1 - after snapping a chain from poor maintenence I'l take my chance with a brew of tea and a quick chain clean. Saves me money in the long run.
    I presume that's me?
    How do you know what caused your chain to snap? Just curious.
    Excessive debris and grit on the chain might accelerate wear slightly but I doubt it would cause a chain to snap before it had caused sufficient wear to the pins that the link length necessitated replacement anyway.
    In terms of cost, I'm satisfied to spend a couple of quid more to save me having to spend hours cleaning the chain (accumulated over the life of the chain). My time is worth more than that. I'm not saying I don't maintain my bike, I'm just somewhat pragmatic about it. You're welcome to see it differently.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I spent about an hour degreasing my chain with diesel, first doing it on the bike with a chain cleaning thingy, then taking it off and dunking/dipping it in a jar of diesel... only did a 20 minute ride the other night and the chain was back to black again.

Honestly if they sold full chain guards for road frames (no, not a chainring guard, a full chain cover) I would buy one in a second. Maybe you could hack one off an old shopper bike or something I dunno.

The only other thing I can think is try using one of those fancy oils like Tri-Flow and it might be better at not attracting crap as standard chain oil but who knows. We live under a f**king cloud in this country and our bikes have to be different / maintained 4 times more, because of it. :roll:

I have not tried the old frying pan thing yet with a chain but I can see it happening, especially if I find that "magic" stuff they put in chains at manufacture, its some sort of wax or something.
  • ai_1
    Manc33 wrote:
    I spent about an hour degreasing my chain with diesel, first doing it on the bike with a chain cleaning thingy, then taking it off and dunking/dipping it in a jar of diesel... only did a 20 minute ride the other night and the chain was back to black again.

Honestly if they sold full chain guards for road frames (no, not a chainring guard, a full chain cover) I would buy one in a second. Maybe you could hack one off an old shopper bike or something I dunno.

The only other thing I can think is try using one of those fancy oils like Tri-Flow and it might be better at not attracting crap as standard chain oil but who knows. We live under a f**king cloud in this country and our bikes have to be different / maintained 4 times more, because of it. :roll:

I have not tried the old frying pan thing yet with a chain but I can see it happening, especially if I find that "magic" stuff they put in chains at manufacture, its some sort of wax or something.
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, higher viscosity lubes like the "winter" ones will keep your chain coated for an impressive duration but they will allow a lot of debris to build up. Lighter lubes are unable to carry as much debris before it simply falls off and dry lubes allow relatively little buildup. If you don't mind a dirty chain then winter lubes are fine. If you're going to clean it obsessively anyway then why bother with a high viscosity lube. You're just going to wash it off again anyway so you'll never avail of it's tenacious lifespan (unless of course you're planning on some very long winter rides in the pouring rain and think a lighter lube might not last the ride).
    I just use a light teflon lube, give the chain a wipe occasionally and add a couple of drops of lube as needed. I'll give it an occasional full clean but that's it.