Synapse Alu - shorter stem

freestyle_gus
freestyle_gus Posts: 120
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I have a size 58 Cannondale Synapse. I'm 6'1 but a bit of a funny shape = very long legs, short torso, long arms.

The 58 is about right for size, but the reach is a little long, feels a bit stretched (also I'm not particularly flexible - typical ectomporph). I've brought my seat forward a bit to counter act this, which has helped. I was considering replacing the standard C4 stem with a shorter one, 80mm or the like.

Is this even a thing to do?! I imagine it would have a an affect on stability up front, so going too short would be a no-no?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• paxington
    paxington Posts: 162
    What size stem are you running at the moment? Just a 1cm change in stem length can be enough to make quite a difference to comfort. Also, if you're comfortable on the tops of the bars but stretching for the hoods shorter reach bars might be an option. Have you tried flipping your existing stem ?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I hate to say it but are you sure you have the right size frame? When I bought a bike that was a size too big I did all kinds of things (bike fit/stem shorter/higher/saddle fore/back). The bike never felt right and I ended up selling it and getting another bike but smaller. Bingo, fitted from day one and I have never adjusted it since.

In your case, long legs and a saddle pushed forward is counter-intuitive since that will cramp up your leg room and get the angles wrong so it might be worth looking at a decent bike fit since that will factor in your leg size and your arms rather than just one bit.

Switching to a shorter stem can help (80 mm is about the min I would recommend) but then the angle of the stem can make a difference as well as flipping (and you seem to want a more upright position, which will confuse things too).

This site is useful but I think you may need to look holistically rather than a point solution.

http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx
  • paxington wrote:
    What size stem are you running at the moment? Just a 1cm change in stem length can be enough to make quite a difference to comfort. Also, if you're comfortable on the tops of the bars but stretching for the hoods shorter reach bars might be an option. Have you tried flipping your existing stem ?

I think the C4 stem is 110mm - it looks like this:

http://images.evanscycles.com/product_i ... d-bike.jpg

Will flipping it make any difference, it looks straight? The only difference from the pic with my setup is that I have kept all the available spacers :)

It's the reach to the hoods that is a little long. I don't use the drops very much.

Thanks!
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I hate to say it but are you sure you have the right size frame? When I bought a bike that was a size too big I did all kinds of things (bike fit/stem shorter/higher/saddle fore/back). The bike never felt right and I ended up selling it and getting another bike but smaller. Bingo, fitted from day one and I have never adjusted it since.

In your case, long legs and a saddle pushed forward is counter-intuitive since that will cramp up your leg room and get the angles wrong so it might be worth looking at a decent bike fit since that will factor in your leg size and your arms rather than just one bit.

Switching to a shorter stem can help (80 mm is about the min I would recommend) but then the angle of the stem can make a difference as well as flipping (and you seem to want a more upright position, which will confuse things too).

This site is useful but I think you may need to look holistically rather than a point solution.

http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx

I did try the size 56 and it felt too small, the Synapse is a stretched out ride (which I like) I just feel like a I'm a hairs breadth from the perfect fit. Of course you're right that getting a proper fit is probably the way to go!
  • paxington
    paxington Posts: 162
    Flipping the stem should bring your bars up a bit, meaning that you're bending less far down from the saddle, so making it less of a reach.. Commonly stems angle downwards(in relation to a line at 90 degrees to the steerer tube) by anything from 6 to 17 degrees.
  • Shorter stem will be fine.
    If you get a smaller frame the stack will probably drop more than the reach so it won't help if you have long legs and short torso. A shorter stem won't suddenly make the bike unstable or uncontrollable.
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    I have the same bike and also felt a bit stretched. I swapped the 110mm stem for a 100mm and it made a significant difference.
  • Thanks all!

I think I'll try the flip to see what difference that will make, then try shorter stem as a last resort.

:D
  • Just a quick update.

Stem replaced with a 100mm version. Flipped and then the seat put back into the correct position. Seat dropped about 4mm.

This feels pretty much perfect. No over stretch, no tightness in the shoulders. Lovely.