2K ish to spend on FS

hanhamreds
hanhamreds Posts: 100
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I'm looking to buy my first FS, I like the look of the Vitus Sommet VR 2015 and Cube stereo 160 hpa race 27.5.

I'm looking for opinions on these and open to any other recommendations within my budget.

I'm looking at 27.5 only though.

Comments

• Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    2014 Nukeproof Mega AM 275's are going for great prices at the moment. You could buy a dropper post and SLX brakes with the change from your £2000 and you're good to go.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Link to medium frame size in stock?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sold by CRC so if they don't have you might be out of luck.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Myster101
    Hmmm, can only find a small in the AM. You could go for the TR though for just less than £1500 it's a steal.

http://www.ubyk.co.uk/nukeproof-mega-tr ... 2014/15804

Not as much travel but unless you're hitting really big stuff it's more than capable.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • I like the look of the Mega TR pro 275 on CRC

but not sure about the gearing.

so I keep drifting back to the two bikes mentioned.
  • Myster101
    What do you not like about the gearing?

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    maybe the 1:1 lowest gear (36 front and back)?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    At the price the TR is going for you'd have plenty left over within your budget to do whatever you want with the gears. The Mega is... well, mega.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie wrote:

aye

could fit a cassette expander I guess - but don't really want to be spending anymore on a 2k bike straight away - that might offend the Mrs.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just spend a few quid on a 34/32/30 chainring (much cheaper) as required?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Myster101
    hanhamreds wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

aye

could fit a cassette expander I guess - but don't really want to be spending anymore on a 2k bike straight away - that might offend the Mrs.

With £500 in change I'm sure you could sort the gearing and have extra to upgrade a few other bits. It's a great deal for a great bike.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    That mega tr bike is worth considering at the price its going for.

I'm even looking at buying one myself for that money, I'd be just unsure on the sizing as does having a 18 Inch hardtail mean a medium size would be fine?
  • I'm 5 feet 10" with a 31" inside leg - medium is fine for me.

I have an old Large GT avalanche, and tbh it's a little too big.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mega TR is a brilliant ride, most fun bike I have owned and it still surprises my what I can get away with considering it only has 125mm at the back.
    It may not be high tech, pretty or have the best finish but it will make you grin like an idiot.
  • Dayz
    Dayz Posts: 33
    I love my TR Pro, and that was when I purchased it at a more expensive price, it's a far superior bike to me so will last a long time, I was dubious about the gearing and I did struggle on a few climbs at the start but now theres not much that phases me, I still occasionally consider dropping to a 34t ring but we ride bikes to get fitter right? so why would I want to make it easier? :)
  • mrcoley
    mrcoley Posts: 24
    new yt capra alu1 or 2 for me if I had 2 k with pikes debonair and the alu 1 11spd you cant go wrong especially with the euro being so weak against the pound
  • Two words: Bird Aeris

Start at £1,550 but there are several models and all of them can be built to your own spec from a whole raft of options. Brilliant bike
  • Angus Young
    mrcoley wrote:
    new yt capra alu1 or 2 for me if I had 2 k with pikes debonair and the alu 1 11spd you cant go wrong especially with the euro being so weak against the pound

But you'll be 57 before it arrives.
  • Another one to throw in the pot, Whyte T-129S (29er) or Whyte 130 if your after a 27.5, been happy with my'n so far, always gets a good review and falls into the 2k price band.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Angus Young
    Try one of these...

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... tAodPQ4APQ

And that would leave you with a big sack of money to titivate, should you wish. Super, super fun bike!
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Process is a great bike but the badic version really needs new wheels, fork and shock which will take it well over £2k (£500 forks, £300 wheels, £300 shock) but it does have one of the best frames I have ridden.
  • Angus Young
    The Process is a great bike but the badic version really needs new wheels, fork and shock which will take it well over £2k (£500 forks, £300 wheels, £300 shock) but it does have one of the best frames I have ridden.

Although I've done tons of upgrading myself, I wouldn't say "needs". All the upgrades I've done were not out of need but simply self-indulgence. Rides brilliantly as is but then gives you a good base for long term upgrades/ownership. That was my thinking when I bought it. If I was going to pick out of the three you mention I'd go wheels and fork (in that order) first and worry about shock later.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The fork and wheels are very poor for the price, the fork adds a lot of weight. Judging by how bad my Monarch RT3 was the basic Monarch R cant be very good.
    Its no good having a brilliant frame held back by a very basic fork and shock.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Cube Stereo 140 HPA is worth a look, for just over £2k you get a pike, reverb, Sram guide brakes and a mostly X0 drivetrain. Awesome spec for the cash, without going direct it's the best on paper you'll get by a distance but unlike buying Canyon/YT etc you'll have a dealer to go to if any problems were to arise
  • it's either the Vitus Sommet VR or Cube Stereo 160 HPA Race 27.5

probably the Cube.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Definitely the Cube out of them two but I woukd go for the 140. The 160 is just going to be more hard work 90% of the time.
    Take a look at the Rose Granite Chief as well, very nice ride and great value.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-gr ... plate=true
    The build customiser on their website is a nice touch. The UK agent gives them an advantage over some of the other direct sales copmanies and they have some demo bikes.
  • Really like the look of the Radon. Really like the look of the ROSE - who doesn't like a little pink on their frame?

Nukeproof TR would be hard to look past for me though.

Old adage applies - ride your shortlist, take your pick.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374