Buying Cup and Cone bearings

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm sure I've asked this before but it's a constant source of irritation that I can't buy cones and ball bearings for my bikes. All the bike shops around here suck through their teeth when I take the bits in and ask for replacements and say I need to take in the wheel or sometimes the whole bike.
This leads me to think that when I buy new wheels I should only go for those with cartridge bearings in future.

Comments

• Yes, yes you should.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • I've got my own bearing company... What numbers are on the cup and cones and who is the manufacturer. You will only be able to buy these as a set not separates.
    If you can let me have these numbers i'll see what i can find.
  • Cheers Shaun - I'll strip the wheels down and have a look. The wheels are Ritchey OCR Disc but that probably doesn't help.
  • Sjs cycles are great for parts you could try them if they aren't numbered.
  • Sjs cycles are great for parts you could try them if they aren't numbered.
    I'll check it out too, I see Winstanleys have some Richey wheel spares as well. Cheers
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You need to know the size of the balls used. Then call a shop that stock grade 25 or grade 10 ball bearings and buy or buy online. Wheels manufacturing make over 100 cones. Take a look at there website and identify which one is needed. I carry in stock every cone they make, and that is alot of cones one of them is likely to be a match. I am sure there must be other shop that do what I do.

Cartridge bearing hubs are easier to deal with but good cup and cone hubs like Shimano ultegra or Dura Ace or campagnolo record are simply perfect hubs. These are worth having.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • You need to know the size of the balls used. Then call a shop that stock grade 25 or grade 10 ball bearings and buy or buy online. Wheels manufacturing make over 100 cones. Take a look at there website and identify which one is needed. I carry in stock every cone they make, and that is alot of cones one of them is likely to be a match. I am sure there must be other shop that do what I do.

Cartridge bearing hubs are easier to deal with but good cup and cone hubs like Shimano ultegra or Dura Ace or campagnolo record are simply perfect hubs. These are worth having.

Thanks for the information - very useful.