Stuck on which road bike to buy

MRose1975
MRose1975 Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello, looking for some advice...
In the market for a new road bike. I have been happily improving on a Carrera TDF for a couple of years (which interestingly can now go faster than my Carbon equipped riding buddies) and i feel the time is right for an upgrade.
I know i want a carbon frame but every bike shop wants to tell me something different (obvioulsy)
I ride 50 miles maximum at present in the Peak District so quite hilly.
I have looked at Giant Defy Advanced 2 (but its out of stock until the Summer), the Planet x RT 57 (the 58 is to small) and the Trek Modane.
I am 6ft 4 with long arms and long legs. (although to be fair if i had short arms and legs this would be odd)

Can anyone advise what bike to buy, or at least what i need to look for in a new purchase.

Thanks in advance.

ps, i have a budget of £1300 ish

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Have you looked at Canyon, or something from your namesake Rose?
  • You realise that most of the bikes around this price are pretty similar, so get whichever one you like the look of best.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    MRose1975 wrote:
    Hello, looking for some advice...
    In the market for a new road bike. I have been happily improving on a Carrera TDF for a couple of years (which interestingly can now go faster than my Carbon equipped riding buddies) and i feel the time is right for an upgrade.
    I know i want a carbon frame but every bike shop wants to tell me something different (obvioulsy)
    I ride 50 miles maximum at present in the Peak District so quite hilly.
    I have looked at Giant Defy Advanced 2 (but its out of stock until the Summer), the Planet x RT 57 (the 58 is to small) and the Trek Modane.
    I am 6ft 4 with long arms and long legs. (although to be fair if i had short arms and legs this would be odd)

Can anyone advise what bike to buy, or at least what i need to look for in a new purchase.

Thanks in advance.

ps, i have a budget of £1300 ish

Same height as you, also with Go Go Gadget arms and legs. I'm on an XL Defy Composite 1 and I love it but I'm an old fart that likes to pootle around. It will however depend on what you want it for !
  • I had the same problem last year. Best advice I got and in the end stuck with, be patient, get the bike that fits you the best and which you like the look of, in that order in my opinion. Try as many as you can for size and fit, and whatever other requirements you may have. I liked the look of so many bikes but so many of them just didn't like me :-) for one reason or another when on board. I went for a Specialized Roubaix in the end and I just love it. With your budget you should find a good bike at this time of year, as you can pick up 2014 models at reduced prices now 2015 models out. Have a look at Ribble website too, not everyone's cuppa T but they get some good reviews and look good value. I considered & looked at a few of them and played with their online bike builder, I also went upto their showroom by Preston and they were very helpful. Dolan look good value too and get some good reviews. OK in the end I went with neither and got the Spesh as it fitted me best. Good luck.