Just about to spend between £1500 and £1900 - advice.

Mr Stamp
Mr Stamp Posts: 58
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Not posted for a good 5 years but I seem to have fallen into a world of website reviews, comments, youtube clips and magazine articles.

I currently have an old Merida I plan to keep as a bad weather hack and I'm looking to buy a carbon bike for best, which would bar upgrades be kept for 5 years plus.

I'd like to stick with my LBS who I trust and always look after me. I think I have nailed it down to the following, sorry no pics or links, I'm struggling.

2014 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Comp @ £1900
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1 @ £1900

Or what looks good value for money, a 2015 Giant TCR Advanced 1 ltd @ £1500 with the few hundred saved put towards upgrading the wheels, I've seen a nice pair of Ultegras to compliment the groupset.

I ride most weekends and some Sportives and like a more racy looking and feeling bike.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The bikes have different geometry -you would be well advised to see which one fits best. If you can ride both bikes this will give you an indication of which one you prefer. The LBS should be able to recognise you as a serious buyer thus they should be prepared to give you a test ride of both bikes.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Mr Stamp wrote:

The moda stretto?

I don't think that bike was originally worth £3800.

If you considering online - I would recommend Pauls cycles and Westbrook cycles, in addition a lot of people on here consider Canyon bikes - but you would need to know your size.

If you can reach a deal with your LBS that may still be the best way to go.
  • Change of mind, LBS and two club riders saying the TCR is a killer on rides over 3 hours and Tarmac is better option, I'm getting it priced up with Ultegra wheels, pedals and cages.

I have never in 20 years brought road pedals, always spd's, want to stay with Shimano - any advice on a decent pair of pedals for £75 ish?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    letap73 wrote:
    The bikes have different geometry -you would be well advised to see which one fits best. If you can ride both bikes this will give you an indication of which one you prefer. The LBS should be able to recognise you as a serious buyer thus they should be prepared to give you a test ride of both bikes.

This is what I would do.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Why are you going for the 2014 comp? For another £100 you can get the 2015 one. It has better wheels and more Ultegra components. With a bit of luck your shop might cut you a deal.

I got one recently and have added Ultegra pedals, but nothing else so far.
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    I agree with Pigtail. I totally understand you wanting to stick to your LBS that you obviously get on fine with. I do the same, and prefer to buy everything from my LBS where possible. If I'm unsure between a couple of brands and he stocks one and not the other, that usually sways me. That said, I'd go with the 2015 comp, not the 2014. My LBS got me a 2015 comp last August, and I paid considerably less than what you've said your shop have offered you a 2014 for.

I realise the range was realigned, so the 2014 comp had a higher list than the 2015 one and they're doing you a deal, but for what you want to spend I'd try to go for the 2015.

I really like the bike, and can't wait to get riding it again after the winter.
  • Pd A-600s? Road pedal weight, SPD fitting.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Pd A-600s? Road pedal weight, SPD fitting.
    I would look to get these on a new bike.
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Get some 105 road pedals. You will not be disappointed. The lbs might sort you out if you're buying a bike too. I think rep for the 105s is £95 but I might be wrong.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Of those 3 choices I'd say the 2015 one for me. I'd try each though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thanks for all your comments

I am hoping to get the tarmac 2014 with Ultegra wheels, 2 cages and pedals for around £1500 with a bike fit which is about my budget. I might be pushing it with my lbs, but they are a good bunch and I've spent a fair bit there over the years.