Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Anthem SX vs T-130 S

ElliottDavoElliottDavo Posts: 151
edited January 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys

Just wondering for any opinions of these which would be a better bike to go for?
Typical riding I do is trail centres, and looking to start venturing into the peaks and more natural trails

Specs of both the bikes:
http://whyte.bike/gb/models/trail/t-130-trail-suspension-27-5-650b/t-130-s/
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/anthem.sx.27.5/19237/77334/

I've narrowed it down to these, so any advice on what to expect from each. Biggest question was what effect the head angle have (if any) and the rear suspension being longer on the Whyte. I'd rather go with the Whyte for the slight extra travel, but then a part of me wonders if I need 130mm for stuff in the Peaks

• RockmonkeySCRockmonkeySC Posts: 15,247
    The amount of suspension is less relavent than how it works and the geometry of the bike. I used to have an Anthem with a 120mm fork and even that bodge up was excellent, the Anthem SX should be brilliant.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,733
    Having tried loads of bike recently i ended up with the final choice being Giant Anthem sx or Trance 2 with dropper post. Have just placed my order for Anthem SX as it comes already fitted with dropper post, the Trance is the better bike but would be wasted on my skills. Several people i know have the Whyte and rave about it but i cannot quite stretch to it. Managed to get the Giant discounted but struggling with the Whyte as its so bloody popular, rides very nice as well. In the end its down to whether you want an orange bike or a blue bike both good solid specs. Should be able to get a couple of hundred off the Anthem for cash with no problems.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • RockmonkeySCRockmonkeySC Posts: 15,247
    The Trance isn't a better bike. It's a different bike aimed at a different type of riding.
  • Cheers guys, I'm going to swing for the Anthem SX. Noticed the weight on the T-130s, which put me off a bit. Doing Mountain Mayhem and I'd rather have something that I can ride for 6 or more hours without it getting sluggish