Fitting new bottom bracket

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Hi. I am soon to undertake the task of putting some new bearings in my bottom bracket, once the bearing press I ordered online arrives. I am removing steel which has rusted and started to click and replacing them with a set of ceramic bearings. Is there anything I should be aware of? Are the ceramic ones more fragile when it comes to insertion etc? Also are they less prone to water damage? It is a BB30 bracket and I know water can get in as there is a small vent in the bottom where the cables run under it. I think this may be why the steel ones got damaged but I could be wrong. Although there was some sand/grit inside when I removed the crank to inspect it.

Any help or advice on fitting would be welcome. I have looked on youtube etc but most clips are pretty rubbish and dont really offer any advice outside a perfect assembly and in my experience that rarely happens when you need it to.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks but they don't answer the question I posed. I have already seen them sites and they again only point to perfect assembly and don't really offer any pitfalls to be aware of which I am sure there are. And no mention of differences in ceramic bearings. I have fit BB30 before so I know how to do it but they were both times steel. I was more after knowing if there is any difference when doing ceramic. Are they more troublesome or fragile etc
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    There should be a tube between the bearing cups that protects the BB from water within the frame.

Grease any o-rings before assembly to ensure you don't nick them.

Apply a smear of silicone grease to the sliding dust cap interface to help discourage water from making its way inside.

As long as your bearing press is loading up the cup rather than the bearing inner race then you should be OK (you should be OK even if it is loading through the bearing, but you will have to be a bit more gentle to avoid putting dings in the races).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}