You know how those 10sp SLX shifters look like old XTR...

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited May 2015 in MTB beginners
Looking at some M670 shifters, I notice they look just like M980 shifters.

The SLX option however, only costs about 40% of the price of the XTR ones. Will the SLX shift just the same? I can't believe they would! You get what you pay for, right?

I know there's a trickle down effect, but you can't get £100 shifters for £40.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Same year range as each other so no trickle. Better materials and build in the XTR. Shifters are what you touch so more than most it's where I'd spend the money
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I like SLX, it's good solid kit at a good price. XTR is much nicer to use but I couldn't justify the extra cost so compromised on XT.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Same year range as each other so no trickle. Better materials and build in the XTR. Shifters are what you touch so more than most it's where I'd spend the money

Maybe they have trickled down but from the M970 not the M980.

M970 (1999)
    M670 (2011)

Although the old XTR is 9-speed and the new SLX is 10-speed. Its just the first time I have ever seen SLX shifters looking like that.

I agree that used XTR shifters are a worthwhile investment after using all different ones.

I had those "no name" ST-EF51 shifters at first (stiff levers and inaccurate gear changes), then went straight to XTR M951 and the XTR ones were heavenly in comparison.

I also tried a M748 shifter (supposedly XT level) and its just not as good as the M951 XTR for the speed it shifts. With XTR the chain is "there" when you move the lever. Its more like pressing a button though, than pushing a lever.

XTR shifters are so good you'll miss the hell out of them if you swap to anything else.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What point are you trying to make here?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That expensive new stuff is better than rubbish stuff and even midrange not so new stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    M970 was 2007
    M960 was 2003
    M950 was 1996, upgraded to 9 speed in 1999

Technology trickles down, but they don't, as you seem to be inferring, start slapping SLX badges on old XTR shifters. Or any part for that matter. They may look the same, they're not the same in use.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Can you mix and match shifters and derailleurs? With road bikes some combinations are not compatible, moving the cable by a different amount or to a different index.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, Shimano 6,7,8,9 speed shifters and mechs have the same pull ratio. 10 and 11 don't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes, Shimano 6,7,8,9 speed shifters and mechs have the same pull ratio. 10 and 11 don't.

i'm finding that out the hard and expensive way :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.